Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing oiled surface of stone tile

Posted by egganddart49 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 16:31

Strange question maybe! Twenty years ago I finished new limestone bathroom tile with a natural oil finish, which darkened it. I have to replace a few tiles, and I noticed that the color of many of the original ones has faded. I'd like to strip the oil off the remaining ones to match the faded ones, and use a clear sealer on them.
Anyone know how to accomplish this? I plan to do this myself, not hire someone. My local tile store guy said sanding them can be done but is trickier than it would seem. I can't find any info online... Has anyone done this? What grit would I use? Any special kind of sandpaper? Or would a detergent remove the oil better? Any other ideas?

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing oiled surface of stone tile

"Or would a detergent remove the oil better? "

Any oil 20 years old is hardened and not going to wash off.

There is also likely no solvent you want to use indoors that can even attack a 20 year old "oil finish," especially without damaging limestone.
You are probably looking at paint stripper or MEK type solvents.

If it is fired tile meant to look like limestone it might be a little more damage resistant.

o
RE: Removing oiled surface of stone tile

Thank you. It's real honed limestone. Do you know anything about sanding it off? The alternative is to use the same product I used 20 years ago to match, but i don't really want that look anymore, and the product doesn't seem to exist anymore anyway. So I'd like to get the stone back to its natural color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here