Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is my lovely Zen Vanity an install nightmare?

Posted by Baroo2u (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 16:25

I found a gorgeous Marino WALL MOUNT sink/vanity, tall cabinet & mirror cabinet on sale--see the pic. I was totally jazzed: it looks incredibly luxe and will transform the bath of my fixer-upper from a run-down haven for perma-dirt to an oasis of Zen-like tranquility!!! Ok, maybe not, but it's several steps in the right direction--and the price was SO right I keep thinking I should check in at the local cop shop to see if my name's on a wanted poster for Grand Theft Bath Fixture.

EXCEPT!!! I got home and was so excited I called my sister. She wasn't home, but my brother-in-law told me wall-mount vanities are super difficult (and expensive) to install because you have to reinforce the wall blah blah blah (insert technical mumbo jumbo) and I should really return it to the store or I'd be entering a colossal world of bathroom hurt.

Does anyone here know if he's right? Or was he maybe just raining on my happy little Zen-Tranquility parade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is my lovely Zen Vanity an install nightmare?

They have to be attached to the studs and you usually need blocking between the studs as well. That will involve opening up the wall. The vanity also should come with an internal frame support, such as steel to keep it from sagging. That is what attaches to the wall. It also complicates the plumbing a bit, as you usually want to move the waste arm up the wall as high as possible, and switch to the all chrome beauty drains. All of that IS possible, but it's not "just" switching out what's there for what you bought. It requires behind the scenes and behind the walls work to make it look like your picture.

o

sounds like you like these very much.. don't return them.. they will be fine.. Is it harder then putting something on the floor, ya. but if you can follow instructions and make sure they are supported by the studs, it's not that hard.

I have a wall mounted vanity too.My contractor did it and it looks nice. We added some hidden LED lighting on the bottom of the cabinet, and around the mirror so it has a nice glow .. you can try that too.

o

Why would it be any more difficult than hanging kitchen cabinets? And aren't Ikea cabinets even the base ones hung on the wall? I guess if some of those cabinets are too narrow to hit two studs... then you'll have to compensate somehow...but I'm sure it's doable.

o

Kitchen wall cabinets are only 12" deep. Deeper cabinets, like over the refrigerator ones are required to be attached to adjacent cabinets and side panels for additional support. Base cabinets sit on legs that support them. When you have a 21" deep vanity without support from below, it needs to be attached at multiple points on the wall. That requires blocking between the studs. And the internal frame that resists sagging. Much like the steel support frame that actually supports "floating" shelves. There is a lot going on that you don't see that makes it work.

As I said, sure it can be done. But, it's not as easy as just installing a regular vanity that sits on the floor. That work isn't free, even if you DIY it. You still will have to buy plumbing parts and drywall to get it done. If you can't DIY it, then it's not going to be an inexpensive option.

o

Thanks for the support and info, everyone! I especially like the LED idea, Noopd...any idea what type of fixture is use.

Hollysprings, exactly the info I was seeking, thanks! Somehow it sounds more approachable coming from you, like an opportunity for a learning experience instead of a recipe for disaster. I'll do my research and decide what part of the install I can reasonably handle to control cost, then find a contractor to do the rest.

o

Thanks for the support and info, everyone! I especially like the LED idea, Noopd...any idea what type of fixture is use.

Hollysprings, exactly the info I was seeking, thanks! Somehow it sounds more approachable coming from you, like an opportunity for a learning experience instead of a recipe for disaster. I'll do my research and decide what part of the install I can reasonably handle to control cost, then find a contractor to do the rest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here