Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
baroo2u_gw

Is my lovely Zen Vanity an install nightmare?

Baroo2u
10 years ago

I found a gorgeous Marino WALL MOUNT sink/vanity, tall cabinet & mirror cabinet on sale--see the pic. I was totally jazzed: it looks incredibly luxe and will transform the bath of my fixer-upper from a run-down haven for perma-dirt to an oasis of Zen-like tranquility!!! Ok, maybe not, but it's several steps in the right direction--and the price was SO right I keep thinking I should check in at the local cop shop to see if my name's on a wanted poster for Grand Theft Bath Fixture.

EXCEPT!!! I got home and was so excited I called my sister. She wasn't home, but my brother-in-law told me wall-mount vanities are super difficult (and expensive) to install because you have to reinforce the wall blah blah blah (insert technical mumbo jumbo) and I should really return it to the store or I'd be entering a colossal world of bathroom hurt.

Does anyone here know if he's right? Or was he maybe just raining on my happy little Zen-Tranquility parade?

Comments (6)

• _sophiewheeler
    10 years ago

They have to be attached to the studs and you usually need blocking between the studs as well. That will involve opening up the wall. The vanity also should come with an internal frame support, such as steel to keep it from sagging. That is what attaches to the wall. It also complicates the plumbing a bit, as you usually want to move the waste arm up the wall as high as possible, and switch to the all chrome beauty drains. All of that IS possible, but it's not "just" switching out what's there for what you bought. It requires behind the scenes and behind the walls work to make it look like your picture.

• noopd
    10 years ago

sounds like you like these very much.. don't return them.. they will be fine.. Is it harder then putting something on the floor, ya. but if you can follow instructions and make sure they are supported by the studs, it's not that hard.

I have a wall mounted vanity too.My contractor did it and it looks nice. We added some hidden LED lighting on the bottom of the cabinet, and around the mirror so it has a nice glow .. you can try that too.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Why would it be any more difficult than hanging kitchen cabinets? And aren't Ikea cabinets even the base ones hung on the wall? I guess if some of those cabinets are too narrow to hit two studs... then you'll have to compensate somehow...but I'm sure it's doable.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the support and info, everyone! I especially like the LED idea, Noopd...any idea what type of fixture is use.

Hollysprings, exactly the info I was seeking, thanks! Somehow it sounds more approachable coming from you, like an opportunity for a learning experience instead of a recipe for disaster. I'll do my research and decide what part of the install I can reasonably handle to control cost, then find a contractor to do the rest.

• Baroo2u
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the support and info, everyone! I especially like the LED idea, Noopd...any idea what type of fixture is use.

Hollysprings, exactly the info I was seeking, thanks! Somehow it sounds more approachable coming from you, like an opportunity for a learning experience instead of a recipe for disaster. I'll do my research and decide what part of the install I can reasonably handle to control cost, then find a contractor to do the rest.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz