Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
no shower pan needed?

Posted by ckstjamj22 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 08 at 16:22

We are in the initial phases of planning a master bath addition. I was told by a contractor today that if we build the shower with the floor recessed into the concrete slab, we don't need a shower pan and that shower pans just leak anyway. Our current shower is built with this type of floor and it's leaking somewhere...

Opinions?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: no shower pan needed?

Let me clarify my earlier post by saying that I'm in Florida and further research has revealed that the 'panless' shower is or at least was a common feature here in the Sunshine State.

Still, it doesn't sound quite right to me...

o

Opinion? Your contractor(?) is full of it. You MUST have a pan, on top of a preslope with a mud bed over it. In the alternative, yes, you can build a proper shower without a pan. It's called Kerdi.

o

How does this genius contractor propose you keep the water from leaking under the walls of the shower without using one of the mainstream shower pan methods???

o

I can only guess that he expects the 5" concrete curb that's integral to the shower recess, which is integral to the slab foundation, to keep it from leaking. The finished wall material starts 5" above the finished shower floor.

I would be interested in hearing feedback from anybody who might be familiar with this method of construction, which apparently was/is common in Florida and which I believe is still permitted by Florida Building code (not sure on this/still researching). See the pertinent code section and particularly EXCEPTION 2 below:

P2709.2 Lining required. The adjoining walls and floor framing, enclosing on-site built-up shower receptors shall be lined with sheet lead, copper or a plastic liner material that complies with ASTM D 4068. The lining material shall extend not less than 3 inches (76 mm) beyond or around the rough jambs and not less than 3 inches (76 mm) above finished thresholds. Hot mopping shall be permitted in accordance with Section
P2709.2.1.

Exception:
1. Floor surfaces under showerheads provided for rising laid directly on the ground.
2. Shower compartments where the finished shower drain is depressed a minimum of 2inches below the surrounding finished floor on the first floor level and the shower recess is poured integrally with the adjoining
floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida building code

o

"P2709.2 Lining required. The adjoining walls and floor framing, enclosing on-site built-up shower receptors shall be lined with sheet lead, copper or a plastic liner material that complies with ASTM D 4068. The lining material shall extend not less than 3 inches (76 mm) beyond or around the rough jambs and not less than 3 inches (76 mm) above finished thresholds. Hot mopping shall be permitted in accordance with Section
P2709.2.1."

Here, it indicates that a pan IS required, but makes no mention of a pre-slope....and THAT is what eleminates the water from simply "pooling" on top of the pan after it penetrates the floor mud....and make no mistake, it WILL penetrate inasmuch as mud is a porous material. I dunno what the folks in Florida are doing. I guess they figgure everyone ther is rich and retired and can afford to re-build their shower every 3-5 years.......

Oh, and "hot mopping" went out with the whip & buggy.

o

Except in California.

o

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here