Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docellie

Anyone have linen-look tiles?

docellie
13 years ago

We chose a ceramic limestone-look tile for the walls, but want to go with a stronger porcelain tile on the floor. I came across some new(or so I've been reading)fabric-look tiles called "Style", particularly a linen-look that I really liked. It has a nice subtle linear texture. Problem is they offer limited sizes, and I don't want to have to cut all the 12 x 24s to get the 6 x 12s we need. Anyone else have this type of tile that they like?

Comments (16)

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

I do, and I am NOT happy with them. The texture of the tile makes them incredibly difficult to keep clean. Mine have NEVER looked clean, from day 1 installed. They had some sort of dirt on them from shipping which never came 100% off, and new dirt shows awfully. Hard to clean... need a scrub briush on hands and knees to get into the texture. Ugh. Mine are porcelain 12 x 24s: Iris Brushstroke in Oyster.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

We have Atas Concorde (AKDO) Glow tile on the floor in our MB. The texture was a big draw for us--looks beautiful, and invites one to touch them. People who see them can't believe they are porcelain (they think they are really fabric!). Ours are 12x24's but I think they come in 6x12's or 24's. They are easily cut though if you need a different size.

Here are a couple of pics. The color we used is called Cosmos. They are a little darker in person. They come in a few other celestial named colors, too.

They are easy to clean; damp mop and done.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I love the look of the linen-y tiles and was planning on using them for my bathroom floor. Brand and color tbd based on the rest of my tile choices. I hope mine are easy to clean like Catmom's!

• docellie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now I'm worried, but my husband even more since he is the stay at home dad that would have to clean the floors! Cat_mom, why do you think yours are so easy? Do yours just look textured, or are they truly textured (raised)? I really like the minimal grout look as well!
    Anyone else have thoughts on fabric-look tiles?

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I think they are easy because all I need to do is use a sponge mop and no-rinse/soapy water (I use Marbalex from SCI; safe for our travertine floors and for the porcelain). The dark color could be hiding stuff, but I don't think so. Sometimes I'll give a quick wipe with a damp paper towel if someone is coming over and the bathroom is between cleanings. Hair and dust come up, but nothing major.

They are truly textured (and feel soooo good on my feet!). There's an ever-so-slight silvery, reflective quality to the texture which I love.

DH and I much prefer minimal grout lines, and try to choose grout colors that blend, rather than contrast with the tile we've chosen throughout the house.

Good Luck deciding!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Docellie-- have you actually seen this type of tile in person? If not, go to a tile store and touch them. They feel so great under your hand. I did notice that some of my samples feel more textured than others. I'm sure you can find one you and DH like.

• alku05
    13 years ago

We chose the Daltile Fabrique in Blanc Linen (12x24") for our master bath floor, but they're not installed yet. They certainly felt smooth enough that they wouldn't be a pain to clean...I hope they don't prove me wrong!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabrique line

• docellie
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all. Breezygirl, I did indeed see them in person, and that is what made us start thinking seriously about them....but being the type of folks that think too much before making a decision(!), the one thing that concerned us was dirt tracking and sticking inside those thin raised linear areas....I worried about just what staceyneil mentioned - having to get down on all fours with a scrub brush to clean them well(not going to happen in our house!). Well, will do more looking and touching.........

• cat_girl
    9 years ago

I am thinking of using Arizona Tile Touch Series tile in my master bath, floor and full shower. It is a textured, linen look tile with a hint of sparkle. Does anyone have this tile? If so, is it difficult to clean because of the texture? Do you have to use a scrub brush?

• sloyder
    9 years ago

try to get a sample of the tile, and make it dirty, they try to clean it.

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I was thinking about using one of these tiles, as well, so following along!

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

Cat-mom Beautiful tile! What spacing did you use for the tile grout line. Love the thin grout line

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

Thanks rtwilliams! We much prefer that as well. The grout lines in our MB are 1/16".

We did even tighter grout lines with the travertine tile in our family room; 1/32".

:)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

How about testing your sample with things like toothpaste, hair spray, body lotion, etc?

• warlockhouse
    8 years ago

I have the Daltile Fabrique in Gris Linen. I love the look of them but I agree with Stacey up top. Mine haven't looked clean since the day i got them. I clean them three times in a row and they still smudge. It is driving me absolutely mad!