Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower options other than a tiled shower

Posted by sis2two (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 16:15

We have been in our home for 13 yrs. and are looking at redoing our white tiled shower. The reason being that evidently our shower pan was not put in correctly underneath the floor tile which keeps mildew in the caulk area between the floor and wall tile. I love my subway tile but it's a fairly good size and between the mildew and several small areas of grout starting to come out, I am wanting to consider something else. It is a country style bathroom with claw foot tub and beadboard. Can anyone suggest an alternative that would be very nice, durable, and would fit the style of my bathroom. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower options other than a tiled shower

I am putting in a Kohler cast iron shower pan tray then tiling the walls and using Laticrete epoxy grout. Wish me luck on the grout :) I didn't want to fuss with trying to tile a floor. I am happy with my decision. Cat-mom has a kohler pan in place and it looks nice. They come in 3x4 and 3x5 sizes. So the larger fits a standard alcove tub site. I will be using the smaller because of size constraints. Cat-moms shower is shown about 1/2 down this thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: ...Kohler cast iron pans

o

Thank you enduring. I am going to look into those. Do you actually tile over the curb part or just the walls?

o

The curb is cast iron, but in the 3x4' size the apron may not go down to the floor. Cat_mom has a picture of her Kohler pan and she needed to tile on the outside vertical plane with a cut tile all the way across. The 3x5' pan that I saw at Ferguson's has the curb that goes to the ground on the outside, rather like a regular tub with apron does.

o

my kohler cast iron shower pan is fantastic! no tiling over curb on mine.

o

Busybee3, do you have the 5' long Salient or the 4' Kathryn or Purest? If you have the Salient do you have the center drain or the drain at the end? I am thinking of changing my plan to work with a 5' long pan instead of the 4' since I just made the room:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here