Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fixed glass panel--is a 3/8' U-channel deep enough

Posted by nycbluedevil (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 21, 11 at 16:05

I have just finished building my shower. One side has a knee wall that is 16" inches wide. I need a fixed panel of glass to sit on top of the knee wall and go to the ceiling. The panel will be 16" wide x 54" high. The glass store wants to use a 3/4" deep U-channel for the bottom and side but I hate the look of so much metal. I know that 3/8" regular U-channels are available. Does anyone know if there is a stability risk with the regular depth channel? Do I really need the deep one?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fixed glass panel--is a 3/8' U-channel deep enough

go with "frameless" and eliminate channels all together

o

use clamps instead of channels to hold the glass panels in place

o

Hello, I am also deciding on the depth of channel used on shower pony walls. I just found this post. Which size did you end up going with? And are you happy with it? We really want the lower profile metal on our pony walls but its not in stock for two months! So we are wondering if we should just go ahead with 3/4". Would love to hear your experience. Thanks.

o

Funny--I almost never check this forum anymore and completely forgot about this particular post. I went with the smaller channel and I am very glad I did.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here