Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jakkom

ADA Hotel Bathroom - Photo heavy!

jakkom
13 years ago

We recently stayed at the Hotel Avia in Napa, CA, and were given an ADA room (we're not disabled). It was very nicely designed, and I thought people might like to see how the bedroom/bathroom was set up.

The layout of the room: There was a mini-frig under one side of the desk, and a safe bisecting the closet. The closet had a full height bar on one side, and a lowered height bar on the other side. Microwave was on top of the safe, around waist-high, easy to move if necessary. As the TV was wall-hung, underneath was a cushioned bench seat, which DH preferred for getting his shoes on while I used the sofa.

{{gwi:1424190}}

Here's DH putting his jacket away in the closet. The flash picked up the reflector tape on his shoes, LOL. Flooring is a nice laminate, with a rug under the bed and sofa:

{{gwi:1424191}}

Here's the sofa area. In some rooms there's a tub here(!) with a walk-in shower in the bathroom.

{{gwi:1424192}}

Standing inside the bathroom, here's the hallway. The door in/out of the room is to the right. Note the cute little ledge for keys, etc., on the hallway mirror.

{{gwi:1424193}}

Standing in the bathroom doorway, sink and toilet to your left:

{{gwi:1424194}}

The sliding door gives a full 3' wide entry. Here's the tub/shower, with a lovely teak stool. Ample room for a wheelchair user.

{{gwi:1424195}}

Built-in shelving unit. The bag on the hook is the hotel-supplied hair dryer. There's a second hook above it for one's bathrobe.

{{gwi:1424196}}

Although I'm not disabled, I do have knee and foot problems, so the many grab bars were really appreciated. I often feel unsafe getting in/out of hotel tubs, compared to our neo-angle shower at home. This is why I took photos, so I could see exactly where the grab bars are placed.

{{gwi:1424197}}

One thing that struck me when using the tub was how nicely the extra-wide deck at the back of the tub worked. It was just the right height for washing one's foot. As you can see, grab bars are on all three sides of the shower surround. We absolutely loved having the slide bar for the showerhead, as we have this at home too and it's great.

{{gwi:1424198}}

Hope these photos help anyone who is going to design a universal access bathroom for themselves or family!

Comments (11)

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

Nice room, but I thought ADA complaint would have a walk-in shower. When I stayed with my then-93 year old mother in a motel, she would not have been capable of maneuvering that step into the tub/shower. How would a wheelchair user handle it?

• barbie08075
    13 years ago

Well I was wondering about that sink situation, if one is in a wheelchair how would the get that water turned on and brush their teeth? Leaning over that bowl from a chair doesn't seem to work too well, particularly if you can not stand. Same with the shower--assuming there is a transfer bench that the hotel provides, the person in a wheelchair is at the mercy of another able body person to hand them the shower hose which appears to be mounted pretty high.

Good looking room though.

• jakkom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

>>ADA complaint would have a walk-in shower. When I stayed with my then-93 year old mother in a motel, she would not have been capable of maneuvering that step into the tub/shower. How would a wheelchair user handle it?>>

As mentioned in the commentary, there are rooms with walk-in showers. This design is suitable for those who use a wheelchair but are still able to stand up with a little assistance. Not everyone who uses a wheelchair is completely helpless.

The bellhop who brought up our bags can be asked to lower the showerhead. If you forget, just call the front desk and they'll send someone up.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Thanks for posting this. I really like how much room is around the toilet with the tp holder at the front of the knees.

• sushipup1
    13 years ago

When I traveled with Mother, we learned that the room clerks don't have the foggiest idea of what they actually have and not. And what sort of accommodations people actually need. We learned that we had to actually inspect the rooms before checking in, and most clerks misrepresented the features. Even asking specifically for a walk-in shower (Mother was not in a wheelchair, but had really restricted mobility with a walker) didn't work, not without seeing the room.

• jakkom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

>>the room clerks don't have the foggiest idea of what they actually have and not. >>

So true! It's usually best to ask to talk to one of the managers. They do have room plans. "Disabled" covers such a multitude of impairments, no one design would work for every situation.

I've found it's always best to check in as early as they'll allow. You get the widest choice of rooms, but traveling at high season can proscribe this.

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

FYI re: the shower slide...in case anyone would also want to use that for an extra grab bar (since sometimes you just grab what's close when you need to), I thought I'd mention what we did in our bathroom. We used a smaller diameter heavy gage pipe inside of the bar before screwing it into the (also heavily reinforced) wall behind. It has come in handy more than I can say, and sometimes having a vertical grab bar right there that I know will support our weight is nice insurance.

• MongoCT
    13 years ago

Yeah, I'm surprised this is marketed as an ADA room. It's a regular bathroom with grab bars. And if you consider the sink, the sink is even less accessible than an average hotel bathroom sink.

Is this their ADA workout room?

• claire_de_luna
    13 years ago

Mongo, thanks for the grin!

Yes, it's probably less about ADA than Universal Design, except that the sinks seem to me problematic to use for children, or someone in a wheelchair. I too would have problems accessing the shower in the tub! The rest of the room seems well laid out though, so I guess hitting on most cylinders counts for something. It seems to me for a room to truly be ADA, it should be designed by someone who actually is. I do like wide doorways and plenty of aisle space! It's nice to have room to turn around.

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

How did you like the sliding door mounted to the outside?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!