Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
windycitylindy

Air tub recommendations?

windycitylindy
12 years ago

We're redoing a bathroom and want to put an air tub in. This is primarily a guest bathroom, but we will occasionally use the tub ourselves. It's a 5' space and currently has a 32" wide tub in it. It needs to drain to the left. Which air tubs do people recommend? Since this is primarily a guest bath, I don't want to get a high-end one!

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I just installed the Mirabelle Edenton, which comes in 30x60x20 and larger sizes and is fairly reasonably priced for an alcove air bath that doesn't have an unattractive skirt (I paid $1850 with the chrome drain, delivered). In order to use it, however, you'll need to install the pump remotely (like in a linen closet) and run pvc or plastic tubing to the bath through the floor, or you'll have to have an access panel (my access panel is hidden behind this piece of wainscoting. There are other Mirabelle options, too. The only real problem is that you have to buy that brand from Ferguson, so you may be limited geographically if you want to see one in person.

You might also consider the Kohler Archer, but then you have the skirt. Some people aren't offended by the skirt; I think it looks unfinished (cheaper than the Mirabelle by a few hundred dollars).

Here are some pictures of mine:

{{gwi:1419053}}

{{gwi:1419059}}

{{gwi:1419058}}

Good luck.

Everything else I saw was likely too expensive (MTI, Hydrosystems, Bain Ultra) for what you're thinking (some more than twice the price).

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We love our bain-ultra. Air jets are so much nicer than whirlpool...not scuzzy green slime, quieter and you can use bubble bath with them. Ours is about 5' and nice and deep. It has a timer and runs automatically for 20 min with variable speed and then after you drain the tub, you hit the button and the air dryer comes on to keep the jets dry and clean. Very nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bain Ultra

• windycitylindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I like the looks of the Edenton. How quickly does the water cool when using it? I'm wondering if we need one with a heater.

I've looked at the Bain Ultra site, and I always get a bit overwhelmed by all their options! I need to spend some time browsing through the options there.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

Most companies do not offer an in-line heater with air baths (only with combination air bath/whirlpools), if I recall correctly. The bubbles themselves are heated (supposedly). Other companies, like Hydrosystems, also heat the backrest, which helps, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. You can always turn on the hot water or use a lower setting on the air.

• Intoodeep
    11 years ago

We have a Bain Ultra (Origami-2" lip). It is great. The water does cool off quickly, but we just keep a trickle of hot water running to keep it warm. The air is heated, but room temperature air is still colder than the water. We have 1 heated backrest, some models come with 2. The kids mostly use it and have no complaints. They LOVE the bubbles and the lights!

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Chays,

Can you tell us how you have access to the motor with your tub. It was recommended to us to get a skirt for our Meridian Bain Ultra. We have not yet installed our Bain Ultra, so I don't know yet if it worth the price. Although, I would have prefered to have tiled around the tub instead of the skirt. Sorry to deviate a bit from main topic.

Carol

• Intoodeep
    11 years ago

Carol,

The potty room is on the other side of the small window. We have a slatted access panel (like an air return) next to the potty (I think the panel is 10x10, the opening is much smaller). It is a tight fit, but works fine - don't need to remove the toilet. The potty room is only 32" wide.

The other option that we had was to build out into the crawlspace on the other side of the tub, but getting room temperature air there was a challenge. Hope that helps. I can post a pic of the access panel if you like.

• ontariomom
    11 years ago

Thanks Chays for taking the time to explain the solution you used.

Carol

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

The water does cool down a little and you do notice the temp of the water by the jets toward the end of the tub cycle, but usually by that time, I'm so warm, I don't mind it. We can't trickle our hot water in so I add it when/if necessary during the tubbing.

We got the skirt for easy access....though we did consider putting the motor someplace else....simplicity kept it under the tub.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022