Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Master Bath design

Posted by kberrie1 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 15:33

Help me decide a master bath layout!

Option 1 each vanity has a tall cabinet and Option 2 has a linen closet.

Let me know which option seems best!

TIA!

Option 1

Option 2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Master Bath design

Where does the door from the toilet go?

In option 1, I am not sure you have the requisite clearance in front of the toilet (must be at least 2 feet from front of bowl by code); unless you plan to never have a door on it?

Actually, that changes my preference.

So, will there be a door on the toilet area?

And, what is that door?

o

I prefer option 1. I would prefer that the bathroom door shift over toward the sink as much as possible to allow for greater space in the toilet room if you leave it as-is. On the other hand, it may work better privacy-wise to flip the shower and toilet like this
Photobucket

The linen closet in option 2 is too deep IMO and things will get lost in there; plus if you're in the shower and realize you forgot to pull out a clean towel, you have to walk dripping wet across the whole bathroom to get one.

We had the linen closet in the 1st house & now the linen towers at each sink in the new house. We have found that the linen towers allow DH & I to have our own area for our toiletries and in my case the blow dryer, curling irons, makeup, etc. I find that for my purposes, storing my bathroom stuff in a vertical fashion works so much better for me that having everything in drawers. We store our towels and washcloths in the top portion and because the towers are on opposite sides of the room, it doesn't matter if you forgot to set out a clean towel and don't realize until you're stepping out of the shower or the tub--a towel is always stored nearby.

With that being said, are you set on the entry into the closet through the bathroom? If you could move the closet entry to the bedroom wall and you were ok with a single long vanity with linen towers on either end in the bath, you could gain enough space to have a full toilet room complete with a door on the sink wall with more than enough space in front of the toilet to meet code + a larger shower and/or tub.

Hope this helps!

o

I vote for #1. I prefer having storage near the sink instead of over by the toilet.

o

Thanks for the ideas!
In option 1 that is really just a doorway, not a door. There isn't room to move the entry to the closet to the bedroom.

I do like the redo you showed, and the toilet on the other end of the room.

Do you all think the shower size is ok at 4 x 4'8? I was trying to do a corner shower to make it a little larger...

o

kberrie - can you please tell me the design program you used to play with your ideas? I need to plan our MB remodel too. Thanks!

I like the version mydreamhome came up with with the toilet in the rear. Can't speak to shower space as mine currently is a small 38 x 38.

o

kerrie--the shower I did for you in the layout above is 5'x4'. Plenty big. 4'x4' isn't bad either, but I personally would rather have the larger size. I'm not sold on corner showers allowing for more space.

o

boysrus2- I use a free version of Chief Architect. You can find the download on their site.

mydream home. Thanks! Is the tub 6' and the toilet 3'?

o

Yes, that is correct.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here