Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onelady1dog2girls

Sink Size Question

onelady1dog2girls
12 years ago

Hello everyone:

We have a 93inch vanity in our new bathroom remodel. Actually, because it is coming up the stairs, it technically is two 36" vanities with a 21" drawer space down the middle (i.e. three pieces). The granite will run in one piece across the top. I bought two 16.5 inch rectangular sinks and was going to put them in the middle of each 36" vanity so to speak. In doing this, that leaves approximately 10" on the far left and far right hand side of the entire vanity. I am afraid the 16" width makes it appear as though the sinks are "shoved" against the left and right sides of the vanity. To remedy, I could get a smaller sink...but I was wondering if that makes the sink in a masterbath less desirable from a function standpoint. There are some square 13" sinks...but that might be too small. What do you think about the 16" size rectangular sink versus a smaller square? I definitely like the linear lines of the square or rectangle. I appreciate your experiences insights.

Comments (11)

• hags00
    12 years ago

I too prefer the retangular sinks. I would think you would want to stick with the larger sinks and I think it will look quite good with each centered in the 36" vanity.

I see that look most often cabinet-drawerbank-cabinet with individual mirrors and lights over each sink. I also like it with a shallow cabinet that runs from the granite up over the center, sometimes with cubbies or open shelves or other nice features.

• suero
    12 years ago

I have a similar setup, so I just measured my sink and vanity top. The sinks are undermount, so there is actually 10 1/2" on the side of the sink, and it's more than adequate. It certainly doesn't look shoved against the sides of the vanity.

• onelady1dog2girls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hags00 and suero...thank you so much. You know the crazy minutia that goes into home remodeling. With the amount of money that goes into completion, you certainly don't want to think...uh...akward! We are installing a vanity wide picture window behind the vanity to take advantage of the scenery (we live in the country, so neighbors aren't an issue :-)...but will probably find some privacy solution later). Then we will be running two 16" rectangular mirrors directly behind the sinks down from the ceiling joists in front of the picture window. Certainly not for everyone, but I dearly love the setting in which we live. Then we will be hanging a 5" wide pendant on each side of the mirror. For this reason, I am really obsessed with making sure it doesn't look cramped or silly.

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

it shouldn't look cramped or silly - get skinny pendants tho!

have you done a layout or drawing of it?

• onelady1dog2girls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Desertsteph...my pendants are 18" x 5" width, does that seem skinny enough? They are very long and mercury glass. Arteriors Arianna pendant. I've posted the link below. I've not done a 3D layout, just a 2D layout-see my post on shower door location....

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendant

• dekeoboe
    12 years ago

How much other lighting will you be having? Those pendants only take a 25 watt bulb, so you might want additional lighting in order to have enough light.

• salbwil
    12 years ago

Hi onelady,
    What brand are your sinks; I'm looking for a small rectangular sink and yours seem perfect.
    Thanks,
    salbwil

• KevinMP
    12 years ago

I used the Kohler Archer undercount, which is about 17" x 13", and used two of them in a 60" vanity with a 62" top, and there's plenty of room (about 5 1/2" on the sides of the sinks. It's one of my favorite sinks because it's not too small, not too big, and still deep enough. It also has a slightly bowed front, which adds a lot of character.

I posted a link to my pictures below.

Here is a link that might be useful: My sinks/vanity

• salbwil
    12 years ago

Hi KevinMP.
    Thank you for the input. I looked online at the Archer sinks and thought the specs said they were 19 7/8 x 15 5/16 . That seemed a bit large for what I need. I only have a 48 inch vanity and need to get drawers down each side of a center door below the sink.
    Are your measurements accurate ?
    salbwil

• KevinMP
    12 years ago

My measurements are for the cutout of the sink (i.e., the opening in the granite on my vanity). The sink extends beyond the cutout on each side. The measurements you're seeing online are accurate, but they are not the same as the useable width.

• onelady1dog2girls
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Salbwil. My sinks are from Ronbow. They are 16 7/8 inch width interiors. Good luck!