Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathie2029

Help tile has hairline cracks!

cathie2029
9 years ago

Any experts out there that can tell why the chair rail trim developed cracks? Not all just some- basically following the length of the tile piece. 3 out about 30 so far. Thanks in advance.

Comments (10)

• cathie2029
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's some pics of what we did. So 2 tiles on the shower handle wall one
    In the shower niche area

• cathie2029
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here's the niche area. Any ideas why it would crack? Could it be drying issue because we had to add a little bit more thinset (tec totalflex-fir large tile) to level out the chair rail with the large tile?

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Thinset should have nothing to do with it.

Are you sure the cracks weren't already there when you received the tile and they simply went unnoticed? Sometimes flaws in the glaze can be highlighted after the wall is washed down.

With natural stone, hairline cracks can go unnoticed until the porous stone wicks moisture from the thinset and darkens a bit, then the crack can show itself. That should not be a factor in any porcelain/ceramic piece due to porcelains pretty much being impervious to moisture penetration, unless the tile body itself has a hairline crack in it.

• cathie2029
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks mangoct! I swear i went over every chair rail and didn't see any. But if there were hairline carcks, i was probably looking for major chips and didn't notice them. Learned a leason here.

Thanks again.

• chispa
    9 years ago

Kali, I know nothing about the physical properties of tile, but pretty good at spotting a well designed and thought out Bath!! Could you share the name, brand, type and sizes of tiles you used for the project? Thanks

• mabsy
    9 years ago

I'm sorry about your tile cracking, cali2024, but I have to say that your bathroom is absolutely gorgeous. I, too, would love to know the names, brands, sizes, etc. of your tile choices and any other selections you made, if you'd be kind enough to share the info.

Good point brought up by mongoct regarding hairline cracks possibly showing up after installation, even if they were there before. I'm getting ready to do some bathroom remodels and this will have me looking very closely at the tile before installation.

• enduring
    9 years ago

Agree with Mabsy, your bathroom looks beautiful. I would love to see finished pictures when you done :)

• cathie2029
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks! I did everything myself, the layout took me days!!!! And it's taking me months to do this.. what can I say I'm tired after working 8 hours and working on the bathroom is exhausting. and still have to install the baseboard tile, then grout then the rest. Almost there!! Anyhoooo,
    TILE:
    ⢠12x24 calacatta porcelain
    12x12 same brand for the floor
    (ms International-also sold in tile shops but cheaper at HomeDepot)

⢠Ceramic Chair Rail and Pencil-- Jeffrey Court at home depot

⢠Mini Subway-- Merola mini subway glossy white at home depot

⢠Baseboard tile--Adex Neri baseboard from Artwalk Tile

⢠RAIN SHOWER HEAD - Riobel 12"

⢠SHOWER ARM - Jaclo 20"

⢠SLIDING HAND HELD SHOWER- Delta Faucets 57021 Multi Function Slide Bar

â¢SINK FAUCET/SHOWER VALVES- Kohler Bancroft series all chrome

⢠TUB SPOUT- TOTO Vivian No diverter

â¢SINK-not sure yet- Something rectangular in shape

⢠TUB- Kohler 32x60 archer drop in

⢠TOILET- Either Kohler Memoirs or TOTO Connely

⢠LIGHTING-??? not sure yet maybe this:
    Z-Lite 3-Light Argenta Chrome Bathroom Vanity Light

⢠VANITY- not sure yet but probably something traditional in dark brown like this.
    https://www.houzz.com/photos/carriage-lane-design-build-carly-nemtean-traditional-bathroom-toronto-phvw-vp~1045720-Lane-Design-Build--Carly-Nemtean-traditional-bathroom-toronto

⢠VANITY TOP- Calacatta marble

( I did a whole post about marble look tile selection a while back- this one is one of the best looking that I found
    - the best was a Peronda brand)

This post was edited by kali2024 on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 23:12

• enduring
    9 years ago

It is beautiful. I understand, the task is daunting after working all day, then coming home to the project that is new and unfamiliar. I can really relate to this. Your niches look so nice and the trim around them is great. Window is great looking too. All your layout planning has paid off!!!

• enduring
    9 years ago

I forgot to add information about a sink. I used the oval version of Kohlers porcelains Verticyl. It has been nice for me. The rough in size is:

Height 6-3/4"
    Length 19-13/16"
    Width 15-5/8"

The rectangle sink is more expensive than the oval. I paid $95 for my oval, full retail on Kohlers web site list the oval as $119 and the rectangle at $175. I got my sink at Ferguson's. I bet you could get the rectangle for $150.

Here is the rectangle: