Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Honed or polished carrera tiles (12' x 12') for master bath floor

threeapples
11 years ago

which make most sense and will look nicest for a historic look in a very simple master bath? thanks!

Comments (13)

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

My house was built in 1826 and after a lot of thought, I went with honed. I used calacatta gold though in 9" x 18". You can check out the pictures below.

Here is a link that might be useful: My remodel with honed

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    11 years ago

Honed. No comparison.........

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

I vote honed as well. I would also have to worry about slipping issues with the polished--my DH is forever hopping out of the shower because he forgot to grab the new bottle of shampoo or needs a new razor blade. I would consider honed to be the already well broken-in look of polished & roll with it!

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

wow, absolutely gorgeous bathroom--nice job! i love the honed granite. is it a good finish for kitchen counters?
    i'm doing honed marble floors now, thanks to all of you!

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

It's leathered antique brown granite. I couldn't find a slab of Calacatta that matched the tile, so I has to find a non-marble option.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Honed definitely, but I might do a larger tile for a master bath. 18 x 18 would look a little more luxurious

• dvarnell
    11 years ago

I think both are pretty; polished is definitely a more formal, "luxe" look. It just depends on your overall look, other selections.

• mjtx2
    11 years ago

For our new house master I'm using a fantastic honed marble look-alike porcelain tile, 16x16, and I'll tell you why. Last house we did an extensive master bath remodel with three different kinds of white marble. It was amazing and the complements were off the charts. I loved how it looked but I *hated* how it lived.

I had water etching all over the place, even after sealing three times. Honed will help with that I think, but I believe even honed will etch. Honed also isn't as stain resistant, so you have to think about that, too. And it was indeed slick and we had to have rugs everywhere. Honed might help with that. But the tile we're using is an amazing replication of a honed marble, and I'm picky (won't even consider the marble-look solid surface counters because they're not realistic). Or you could find a granite look-alike tile.

As I'm out there looking for granite for the kitchen I keep seeing all this gorgeous marble and lots of different opinions from granite suppliers and fabricators on using it in a kitchen, mostly negative. It tempts me every time. I absolutely love the stuff. And I'll never use it for a practical application again.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mjtx2, what's the name of your look-alike?
    I can't find 18 x 18 online at a decent price. Anybody have a lead?

• dvarnell
    11 years ago

Marble systems has some of theirs come in 18 x 18. I looked at the Avalon collection which I think is polished but they have a honed version as well that comes in 18 x 18.

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

I put 18 x 18 venatino in my guest bath. Reasonably priced as I remember but can't remember how much. Got it at Topcu Atlanta. It is beautiful and goes beautifully with the Alabama white marble we had left over from the kitchen and made into a vanity top.

I'll take a picture and post it if I can remember when I head over there tonight with all these light fixtures!

• mjtx2
    11 years ago

Sorry, I don't know the name, but I'm going to email my flooring salesperson and ask her, and I'll post what she says here. I've seen it at another tile store, too.

• mjtx2
    11 years ago

Okay, I got the information. It's Carrara Blanco porcelain tile by Roca Tile Group.

http://www.rocatilegroup.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&task=category&id=101:carrara