Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherij0411

Sink size?

cherij0411
10 years ago

I just ordered a 40 inch wide vanity, 18 inch depth

I ordered a rectangle shaped sink that is 21 1/4 wide, is this too big?

Thanks

Comments (15)

• treasuretheday
    10 years ago

Is the 40" side vanity all sink base or are there drawers as well? As long as the sink base is large enough to accommodate a 21 1/4" side sink, it's a personal decision as to whether that is too wide. I prefer to have more counter space so I would consider that too wide for my usage.

• mydreamhome
    10 years ago

I'd be worried about the measurement front to back more than the width as an 18" deep vanity is skinny--most are 21". To make sure the width will fit the vanity, most manufacturers list the maximum size sink that will fit the vanity. If yours did not, you will need to determine the width of the portion of the vanity where the sink goes (usually over a set of doors).

• enduring
    10 years ago

Another option for the vanity is a wall mounted faucet if this is on an interior wall. And I would want access to the inner wall from the other side of the wall in case stuff happened, like a leak. Especially if you have tile up on the wall.
    Here is my 18" vanity:

The sink is 18x18 outer dimensions. I had trouble finding a sink to fit my 18" vanity needs.

• hosenemesis
    10 years ago

Yes, it's the depth that matters. Sometimes it's hard to fit the fixture behind the sink if the vanity is too narrow.

• cherij0411
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the dimensions according to spec sheet, it is a toto rectangle undercounter states ideal for narrow countertops. My vanity is 39.63 wide, 18.38 d and 33.5 h.

size 23 1/4 w x 16 3/8 d
    basin 21 1/4 w x 14 3/8 d

I just emailed the manufacturer of vanity to get maximum sink size.

Thanks
    Cheri Morgan

• mydreamhome
    10 years ago

Do you have a link to the vanity online? What the measurements above don't give us is the size of the sink base part of the vanity (I'm assuming you don't have doors across the entire front of the vanity allowing for a sink that is 38" wide)

• cherij0411
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the link to the cut sheet for the vanity, I have no idea how to read this, the vanity I bought comes with a sink, but I purchased it without sink and vanity top because i want a diffent option.

http://www.frescabath.com/v/vspfiles/photos/FVN8340WH-8.jpg

Thank You

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mydreamhome
    10 years ago

Ok, your vanity does indeed appear that it could handle a sink that stretched the full width based on the drawing. The countertop that comes with it is roughly 39 x 18. Your sink is 23 x 16 with 21 x 14 basin--both measurements are important in an undermount application. So you are fine on the underside of the countertop according to the outside specs of the sink. However, it's a very different story when you take into account the basin specs. Based on your measurements and provided you center the sink left to right, you will have the following: 9" of countertop on either side of the sink, and 4" total to work with front to back to accommodate the faucet and the portion of countertop at the front of the sink. That will be tight. Usually you have 3-4" to work with for the faucet plus another 3-4" for the front. The sink that comes with the vanity set is only a little over 12" and you wouldn't think 2" would make a big difference but it does. The original sink gives you the standard 3" at the front and the back of the sink. To keep the new sink you will need to find a very skinny faucet.

On a side note--I take it you're planning to have a stone fabricator recut the sink cutout to accommodate the larger sink? I would make sure to inquire about the stability/integrity of the stone possibly being diminished/decreased along the 2" strips at the front and back of the countertop.

Hope this helps clarify things for you.

• cherij0411
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I cancelled the sink, I will find a smaller one, and I did not order the counter that came with the vanity, I just ordered vanity cabinet only, so I will have a counter top cut to accomdate my new sink. Thanks!!

• cherij0411
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Do you think this sink will fit

Nominal dimensions
    18 5/16 width x 13 1/2 depth x 7 1/2 height
    exterior bowl dimensions is 18.31 width 13.5 length

I really want a rectangle for the sink shape

Thanks
    Cheri

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Do you have a fabricator? Have you picked a countertop yet? As mydreamhome suggested, I think the first step before you commit to a sink, is find out from your granite guy how deep a cutout your granite can take. I am thinking a wideset or single hole faucet may take up less space than a centerset with plate in the back, but you still have to have some room from the hole to the edge of the granite. Then you also have to allow for the edge of the undermount sink to have room before you drill the hole for the faucet. There are narrower sinks out there, mine is a rectangle 21" X 13 1/4 (outside), but same line has a 17 5/8 X 12 3/8. They are a Canadian manufacturer, and it looks like they don't have any dealers in the US, but I will post a link anyways...in case it helps you. I picked a sink they have discontinued, because I like how the bottom is also a rectangle and not a U shape, but reading your post, am second-guessing a little cuz I only have a 40" vanity too, and hope I'm not taking up too much counter space...LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: ceramic sinks

• mydreamhome
    10 years ago

That's only 1/2" off from the other one and I rounded it down when I did my calculations for you. So I would say, no--unless you choose to do a wall mount faucet similar to enduring's posted above. It seems that you like the bigger sinks which makes me curious about how the depth of the vanity came about--is it a space thing in the bathroom, did you just fall in love with this particular vanity and it didn't come in the wider width, etc?

You haven't posted a link or pic to the style sink you'd like to have other than a preference for a rectangle shape. Take a look at the ones linked below--they are more in line size wise to accomodate the size vanity you're dealing with.

http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_ID=K-2882-0amp;ca=gpsl&CAWELAID=396706205&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CMreo5K2xrYCFQyDnQod6A4AyA

http://www.homeclick.com/toto-lt156-01-vernica-design-i-undercounter-bathroom-sink-in-cotton/p-322398.aspx?chnl=productads&ven=google&kw=LT156-01&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=322398LT156-01&gclid=CN-typ-3xrYCFQQEnQod2V4Abw

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3123540197480336332?client=firefox-a&hs=Q4p&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&q=bathroom%20sink&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&biw=1280&bih=546&sa=X&ei=w6xoUcqBLIPM9gSSp4GIBg&ved=0CIkBEOUNMAA

http://www.homeperfect.com/toto-lt542g-01-undercounter-lavatory-in-cotton.html?cvsfa=3932&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=746f746c74353432673031&gclid=CPOt7fa4xrYCFQr0nAodJzMA3g

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100038683?productId=100038683&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100038683&ci_kw=(keyword)&kwd=(keyword)&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100038683&ci_gpa=pla#.UWiunqCL_Ak

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

We're getting two of these. I wanted rectangular sinks as small as possible, so we would have more countertop space. I will have the countertop cut so as to hang 1/2" over the edge of the sink all around to give the two of us more space. We don't do laundry in there, just brush teeth, etc.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacava 19x15 rectangular sink.

• cherij0411
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all your help. I am not set on a large sink just wanted rectangle. I had to go with 18 inch depth vanity because that is what I have now I do have 4 inches left of wall until I hit the door frame, so with a 22 inch and 1inch countertop overhang I would be into the trim. It would be a lot easier if I had 22 as an option there are so many more choices in that size!!

• mydreamhome
    10 years ago

Another thing to keep in mind is the how far the spout of the faucet will extend over the sink. There is another thread that I linked below on this topic.

There are literally 1,000s of vanities that are 21" deep which would leave you a 1" overhang to butt up right to the trim. When I do a search for vanities with tops, 22" seems to be the norm (21" vanity w/ 1" overhang) and that should fit perfect. It would take all the headaches out of finding the the right size faucet and the right size rectangle sink and open up your selection options as well. If you're worried about the overhang, 1" is plenty--anything over that is nice to have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mismatched Sizing-Faucet to Sink