Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rixi Mandorla Tile

Posted by sratsey (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 14:53

New here and hoping you can all help me. I know this is the Bathroom forum, but figured since this is tile related, someone might have suggestions.

Did a search, but came up short. I'm planning on using Rixi Mandorla to do a subway tile backsplash in my kitchen. I know a few people have used this tile in the past. The manufacturer suggests sealing the tile prior to grouting. Can someone recommend a good tile sealer and then a grout sealer for this purpose? Has anyone ever used this tile and NOT sealed prior to grouting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rixi Mandorla Tile

I used the Rixi Mandorla as my kitchen backsplash about 3 or 4 years ago. I ordered mine on-line from Best Tile with no instructions about sealing the tile prior to install.

One thing I will mention. I received sample tiles of the Mandorla and Crema colors. The Mandlora sample had a lot of very pronounced crackling. Almost a crystal crackled look which I loved. However, my actual order was much more subtle and I was a bit disappointed. If I had to do it over, I'd call and tell them I wanted boxes with the MOST crackled appearance that they had.

My tile installer used unsanded grout, and did NOT seal prior to grouting or afterwards.

Here's what mine looks like.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

I was looking at another crackle tile (by Decocer) and I specifically noticed that their instructions specified sealing and also mentioned the sealer to use. Look at Decocer Urban crackle tile and you should find the sealant they suggest. Love that backsplash! I'm looking at that tile or the Decocer for my shower - just waiting to get my samples. I agree that I love the crackling.

o

I love the kitchen. I have the same rixi tile and was wondering what color grout you used (and brand)? Thanks so much!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here