Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a LARGE alcove tub

Posted by treasuretheday (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 14:46

We're about to start on our teenage son's / guest bath that has a small tub/shower in an alcove. There is a useless area of deck at one end and an even more useless step in front of it so once we remove those we'll have room for a very spacious tub. We just put a whirlpool/airbath combo in our master so we're just looking for a simple but large alcove tub. It will be used for showers 95% of the time. I'm planning to skip the glass in this room and use a curved double shower curtain rod instead.

We love the look of the Kohler Expanse with its curved front but it only comes in a 60" length. We'd like to maximize our space so we're leaning toward the Kohler Windward which is 72 x 42 x 21. Has anyone seen (or do you have) one of these?

I've seen quite a few the web that would meet our criteria but I'd love to hear from anyone who has a large alcove tub for some first-hand recommendations. Bonus points if it has a radius curved front to the tub!

Thanks for the help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a LARGE alcove tub

I have an Expanse and was going to recommend that, but it won't work for you. I just love the additional space. I also use it 99 percent of the time for showers, which was why I wanted a wider tub. I am so happy with it. The only downside is that it is hard to clean the far side of it because it's a long reach from outside the curve. I usually just get in the tub to clean it. That is a minor nit-pick. Good luck with your search.

o

One word of advice - since this will be used for showers most of the time, make sure to pay attention to the basin area bottom numbers. This will be the room you have to stand in. With the way so many tubs have cutouts and ledges and slanted back, etc., you need to know how much room is actually on the bottom and not how much room the tub takes up in the room.

o
Windward Specs

Windward:
Basin area, bottom 55" x 23-1/4"
Basin area, top 64" x 32"

o

Inside dimensions are most important. Check out Hydrosystems. I believe you can get the Lacey in a long size and multiple widths, and you can customize it with skirted sides (or not) and tile flanges one or more sides.

o

Thanks for the helpful reminder to pay attention to the inside dimensions!

Kevin, I'm putting the Lacey on my list. I love the way Hydrosystems makes it easy to compare the dimensions of the different Lacey models on their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrosystems Lacey models

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here