Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tub/shower bench with an alcove tub installation

Posted by skny0104 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 14:18

We are remodeling our bathroom and putting in a tub/shower along a wall (79"). Our tub is 66" so I was hoping to do a bench using a piece of quartz. The tub will be alcove installed (not drop in) I've been looking on houzz and haven't found a picture. Can this be done? Has anyone seen any pics on houzz?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tub/shower bench with an alcove tub installation

Do you mean like a ledge behind the tub? Yes, this is often done and is recommended in the ADA guidelines, too (or at least it used to be--haven't checked lately). I lived in a place where they'd done a tiled ledge/seat at the back of the tub and I loved it.

o

I just finished doing this in tile. The only potentially goofy thing is that the inner liner of a shower curtain won't draw completely the length of the alcove and stay tucked in the rim of the tub, because of the bench. I may cut a "notch" in the liner so the outer curtain and inner curtain pull completely over the alcove including the bench area. The outer curtain stays outside the tub so it can be a consistent length, the bench won't interfere with that.

o

Are you talking something like this?

I have seen lots of examples with either undermount or overmount tubs, but fewer for alcove tubs. I think the difference is finishing the front of the bench so it doesn't look "tacked on". There are some good examples in this old thread

Here is a link that might be useful: thread with tub benches

o

o

thank you jreuter. this was exactly what I was looking for. Since the tub is going to be used for a tub/shower combo, I felt I was limited to alcove as the look seems to be cleaner. I found this pic on houzz that was promising. Sorry for just the link. Am not quite used to the site yet. Is there another way to upload a pic directly from the site (vs having to save on my computer and then upload). I will check the faqs as well.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/102041/Carolina-St-modern-bathroom-san-francisco

o

skny - if you right click on the photo a box pops up to embed the photo. I usually click on the large image text then click "copy" and paste directly into the GW message box. your pictures will appear in the preview and submitted message.

o

thank you jreuter. this was exactly what I was looking for. Since the tub is going to be used for a tub/shower combo, I felt I was limited to alcove as the look seems to be cleaner. I found this pic on houzz that was promising. Sorry for just the link. Am not quite used to the site yet. Is there another way to upload a pic directly from the site (vs having to save on my computer and then upload). I will check the faqs as well.

http://www.houzz.com/photos/102041/Carolina-St-modern-bathroom-san-francisco

o

o

awesome! Thanks for the tip!

o

OK, now I'll be an image pasting fool :)

I wanted the bench at the end of the tub/shower for shaving legs, or maybe I just want to sit around with conditioner in my hair.

I think something like this could work (though again, not sure if its alcove or other type of tub)

This is nice too (but doesn't look like alcove, looks like drop in and the deck/front looks like it would be $$$)

Also love the modern look of these tubs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here