Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

Kohler Expanse tub

remodel-mama
14 years ago

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone out there has the Kohler Expanse tub.

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?from=thumb&frm=&module=Bathing&item=14343302&prod_num=1100-LA&section=2&category=10&resultPage=0--734580236

I am thinking of using it in my kids bathroom. I have a 3 year old who takes baths; and we're thinking that this tub will give them more room for showers as they grow. I would get the curved shower rod to go with it.

Anyone out there have this tub? Are you happy with it? Any regrets? Thanks!

Comments (23)

• cancoi
    14 years ago

*bump*

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My DH ordered this tub... it's looks cool... and I think it will be roomier for showering and taking baths! I will get a round shower curtain. I will post pics when the bathroom is done... but it will be a couple of months, because we are remodeling the whole house (!)/

• dedtired
    13 years ago

I'm thinking of this too. My only concern is that for baths, will I feel like I'm in a bowl? I take showers 90% of the time and like this tub because it allows so much space for showering. If anyone has experience -- or even opinions! -- I'd love to know.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

here it is

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Expanse tub

• lee676
    13 years ago

I like it, and recommended it for someone renovating a bathroom who had already picked out a curved shower-curtain rod. It would look nice across the room from a similarly bowed-out sinktop. But more importantly, it makes extra, much-appreciated room in an otherwise tight 5-foot space.

• dedtired
    13 years ago

Thanks, Lee. That was my thought, too. I recently had to give up on my plan for a separate small shower stall and this tub makes that choice a little easier to live with. I think it's pretty cool!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Any pictures? Also, did you do the 30" or the 32" x 60" option? I am trying to determine if the 30" will be too narrow at the bottom to be comfortable for showering regularly since my girls are almost out of bathing age.

• lee676
    11 years ago

The homeowner I had recommended the Expanse for opted out at the last minute and decided to keep his old tub, even after revamping the entire rest of the room (sink, countertop, toilet, tiling, lighting, fan, even the shower/tub valves (now a thermostatic 4-way HansGrohe). But still the old, shalow, narrow 5' tub that was a cheap builder-grade fixture in 1982 and sticks out like a sore thumb after everything around it is new. Its too short and too shallow to use comfortably as a bath, even for one, problems the Expanse would have fixed.

• anajane
    11 years ago

Dedtired: your previous photos had convinced me. Beautiful. I also got the Expanse tub - and I couldn't be happier with the look. I expect that I'll be able to use it by this week-end. :)

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Dedtired, what do you use to clean your tub? I love the roominess of the Expanse, but I have never dealt with an acrylic tub before. I am having a hard time getting it clean without using Soft Scrub or other products that might scratch the surface.

• lisa7242
    8 years ago

I know this thread is from years ago, but I love your tub renovation dedtired. Have you been pleased? I am redoing my bathroom very soon and the Kohler Expanse (5'x32") is at the top of my list, as well as a very similar looking Grohe shower set.

• Jane Jacobs
    8 years ago

Has anyone used this tub with a ceiling shower head centrally over the middle of the bathtub?

• dedtired
    8 years ago

Somehow I came across this thread. Probably too late to respond to questions above, but I will anyway. I am still happy with the tub. I clean it with a spray on cleaner, nothing scratchy. I use an old net puff ball to clean it. The only down side is that it is so wide I cannot clean the opposite side without getting in the tub. I can't reach that far and scrub. Sometimes I clean the tub before or after showering. I just love the extra showering space. For baths, it uses A LOT of water. It pretty much empties my hot water heater to fill it. I have a standard size water heater.

• Jane Jacobs
    8 years ago

Thanks for responding! I've got this tub in my new build so I can see how wide it is, as it's placed, and mine is the narrower 30/36, it's available in a wider 32/38. I can see how it would use a lot of water used as a tub. I don't ever expect it to be used much as a bathtub, we shower at my house. We even have no bathtub in the master! We have this tub just so that we have one in the house. I stood in it among the builder's dust the other day and I think it will be a wonderful showering tub. I agree with you on the cleaning, do it while you're in there.

• Jane Jacobs
    8 years ago

Beautiful photo dedtired! I'm glad that I didn't spring for the extra 2" width on the 30/36 when I see the tub in place. I think it will be very good as a showering tub in the 30/36 size. Have you been pleased with it?

• ccskiing
    8 years ago

Glad we went with the 30", as this tub provides a lot of space. Prior to this tub, I would sometimes hit my elbow on the wall while washing long hair a couple of times. That doesn't happen with the wider tub center. We don't have a rainshower head from the ceiling, but we have a longer shower arm with large rainshower head, which can angle to the tub center with no issues. Happy with tub overall.

• lisa7242
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We went ahead with the largest sizel that would fit in our existing space (5'x32") and are so pleased. Our previous contractor grade one piece tub/shower was so narrow/shallow it wasn't even worth using as a tub. The width and depth on the Kohler Expanse is fantastic. We chose the Grohe Radiance S 150 shower head on a 9" shower arm (as well as a hand shower) and it all works together perfectly.

• cjeanmurray
    7 years ago

I was wondering if this tub would work in a small bathroom that has the toliet right next to the bathtub. Or would you feel cramped. I would definitely order the 60" by 30." Thanks.

• Jane Jacobs
    7 years ago

We put it into a small bathroom 9' x 5' and have been very pleased with it. Our toilet is next to the tub and unless the space is very narrow in your bathroom it will be fine.

• Jacqueline Abouzeid
    3 years ago

For anyone that purchased the Kohler Expanse Tub, is it easy to get in and out of with that curve there? I would love to hear from everyone on this, especially seniors. Thank you!

• yaakovasimmy
    3 years ago

Jane Jacobs, I am looking at this tub for our remodel & also have the toilet next to the tub. How much space do you have from tub to toilet? Can you upload a picture. The 36” apex worries me that it won’t give enough space next to the toilet. If Jane can’t answer can anyone else answer with pictures?

• Jane Jacobs
    3 years ago

Here are my photos, there is about 9 inches at the closest point from the toilet lid to the side of the bath at the closest point, and 14 inches at the wall between the edge of the cistern and the bath. Hope that helps, if you want more photos measurements/photos, just ask. After 5 years still pleased with this.