Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uneven grout lines

Posted by jdubs79 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 13:57

Hi,

I just had some tile installed on my bathroom floor and the grout lines have me concerned. The tile came on mesh backing so I thought everything would automatically be evenly spaced, but I noticed that the grout lines are very uneven in some places. Can anyone with experience let me know if this is normal, or if it is just a bad grouting job? See pictures below

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uneven grout lines

Or maybe the tile wasn't put on the mesh evenly by the tile company.

o

I'm having a real hard time seeing anything out of whack. Nice tile, BTW.

o

Uneven grout lines.

o

To my eye it doesn't jump out as a hack job. And we've all seen many a hack job on this site. I do see the unevenness if I look really closely.

The unevenness isn't uniformly along a line, which would indicate the tiles weren't set well (too much space between meshed sets). So either the tiles weren't set perfectly on the mesh, or the grout isn't cleaned out evenly. When you look closely at the grout, on the thicker ones, does the grout come up further on the adjoining tile? Or is it all cleaned out pretty evenly? If the latter, then the tiles weren't set perfectly in teh factory.

IMO, it's within a reasonable tolerance given the small size of the tiles. I doubt it's noticeable from normal standing height.

o

DreamingoftheUP thank you for updating the image. The unevenness is definitely very apparant around the gray dot even when standing. It was the first thing I noticed. In any event all is well. I showed this to my GC who takes great pride in his work and he agreed this was unacceptable and will be fixing it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here