Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a glass vessel sink be used as an undermount?

Posted by Gone_South (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 13:52

Hello. I've been lurking on these very helpful forums for a couple of years now, but this is my first post. We are building a house and I'm at the point of selecting a sink for the master bath. I love some of the glass vessel sinks that are available, but haven't yet decided if I want a vessel sink in this room.

If I decide on an undermount sink, can I use one of the beautiful glass vessels as an undermount? Or do I have to select a sink specifically marketed as an undermount?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a glass vessel sink be used as an undermount?

sorry, I can't answer your question about whether any glass sink can be an undermount, but know the make them specifically for that installation. I think you have to be sure that it's opaque so you don't see the plumbing. But I would be more worried about the possibility of the sink cracking or shattering at some point and having to replace it. I assume you'd have to lift off the counter to replace it, but maybe I'm wrong and it can be done from inside the cabinet? I am one of several here who have had a glass vessel sink crack or shatter and I don't think I'd recommend them.

o

It would definitely be opaque. Appreciate your feedback on the cracking. Consumer Reports said that dropping metal (like scissors or nail clippers) could do that but that they held up well otherwise. You've given me some more to think about.

o

If you do a google search you will see many instances of spontaneously exploding glass sinks (and glass shower doors/enclosures) - even when no one is in the room. Mine was fine for almost a year, then when I was running hot water in it, it cracked. And it was a very thick glass, not something skimpy. I'm replacing it soon (it doesn't leak, just looks bad) but decided against glass again.

o

Hello,
That's what I wanted in my little bathroom but wanted a granite countertop and, after seeing some cracking problems,opted for a traditional almond sink to match my tub etc.I got a bright, busy granite as my focal and kept
the rest of the room neutral. I put DECOR PLASTIC as my shower surround - it looks like stone (if you use your imagination) but is very durable. If anyone is interested, I'll try to figure out how to post a few pics when I'm done.
Thanks so much to all of you who share you opinions and experinces.

o

"If you do a google search you will see many instances of spontaneously exploding glass sinks (and glass shower doors/enclosures) - even when no one is in the room. Mine was fine for almost a year, then when I was running hot water in it, it cracked. "

It was not tempered glass.

Tempered glass immediately shatters completely into small crumbs with any scratch or crack that penetrates the temper layer in the glass.

Any piece of glass that cracks in a single place and not all over is not tempered.

o

Brickeyee, I didn't mean to imply it was tempered - but the many sinks and shower doors that have exploded seem to have been. Just pointing out to op the risks of breakage for glass besides dropping something on it: cracking or exploding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here