Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cast iron vs. acrylic vs. "solid-surface" tubs

Posted by von4now (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 28, 14 at 13:33

Another question about my choice of tub for my bathroom remodel. (My other post was about the size of tub if also used for showering.)

I like the dimensions and features of some of the cast iron tubs I have reviewed. But they are so heavy and this bathroom is on the second floor of a split level home built in early 80s. So I don't know if the floor structure is sturdy enough, though it could probably be reinforced. And can the tub even be carried up the stairs?

But how sturdy are the acrylic tubs? What are the features I should be looking for in acrylic tubs? I see some are now labeled as "solid-surface" acrylic and claim to be backed with a stronger fiberglass and titanium particles for added strength and durability.

Any insight will be appreciated!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cast iron vs. acrylic vs. "solid-surface" tubs

I just posted that last message before I did a search on this forum for acrylic vs. cast iron and found some very good discussions about it.

But would still appreciate any insight into the weight of the cast iron for a second floor bathroom of a 30 year old home and how to get it up the stairs!

o

And can the tub even be carried up the stairs?
Plumbers don't look like Woody Allen for a reason.

o

Really only a structural engineer who has visited your home could answer the question of whether the weight would be a problem, IMHO. Anyone else would be guessing.

o

Any modern house built to minimum code can have any tub installed and function perfectly and safely without the stamp of a structural engineer.

o

a cast iron tub is around 350lbs, while an acrylic is 80lbs. Do you have a tub currently?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here