Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiling bathroom: minimize time toilet is out of commission?

Posted by Sam_NY (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 26, 12 at 13:17

Hello,

I'm thinking about the logistics of tiling our one bathroom and wondered if anyone had some advice on how to keep the toilet down-time to a minimum. I'm tiling over existing tile, and my plan looks something like this:

Day 1) Rough up existing tile, prime surface, plan layout, pre-cut as many partials as I can;
Day 2) Thinset and lay tile
Day 3) Grout

(I'll seal the grout, caulk, fit the threshold saddle, etc. after that.)

The question of the toilet... I think I can get away with taking it out on Day 2, right before thinset/tile. So:

TOILET DOWN TIME = Time laying tile + thin-set drying time + grout drying time (30 hours?).

Any way I can get those hours down? Fast drying mortar? Install toilet before grout is dry?

I don't want to do a shoddy job, just trying to minimize how much we have to be out of the apt.

Thanks for any tips!

Sam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiling bathroom: minimize time toilet is out of commission?

My wife went to hotel when I did our ONE bath and she regretted it - terrible night sleep. 5-gallon bucket with a little dirt in the bottom works great. Or get cat litter. Not a big deal.
I know a family off the grid that uses a bucket every day.

So, relax and enjoy and do a good tile job.

o

Ha! I'm going to run that by my wife just to see the look on her face. I'm pretty sure my three-year-old would be un-phased by the suggestion, though.

But seriously, I see your point and we're not super-squeamish, but I'm pretty sure we'll opt for a stay at the in-laws for the weekend.

Thanks Bill.

Sam

o

I think you're fine once the grout is in. You need to be careful walking on the floor while the grout is still drying/curing so you don't mess it up, but putting the toilet back in and covering up a few edges of grout shouldn't be a problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here