Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chibimimi

hellp! need to choose tub/shower/handshower system now!

chibimimi
11 years ago

We're starting a bathroom remodel Tuesday -- our contractor had another job fall through and ours was next on the list.

I have to pick out everything pronto. The biggest and most confusing issue for me is the tub/shower system.

This is for a guest bath that won't see a lot of use

Here are the specs:
Will need tub filler, showerhead, and handshower (or maybe just tub and handshower, although a rainfall showerhead would be nice)
Chrome
Simple style, not Euromodern -- the room will be sort of neutral Asian; rest of the house has Arts and Crafts tendencies
If possible, tub spout longer than 4" (and I really hate those chubby, bland, ubiquitous 1950s spouts)
Price preferably under $800 -- even less would be great

Can anyone recommend good systems, sources, or issues?

Comments (5)

• raehelen
    11 years ago

I would recommend looking at Hudson Reed. Though may not be fast enough for you, as they are online (In US ship out of NY). We installed a HR system in our guest bath about 5 years ago, and we love it, and have been very happy with it. It has actually see tons of use, (we get LOTS of guests), and since we built it, we no longer use our Master shower. (though once our reno is finished, that will change! LOL).

We are going with Riobel for our current bath, HR only sells chrome fixtures, and I wanted brushed nickel this time. Riobel is also another option for you, supposed to have an excellent reputation, looks nice, but we haven't installed/tried it out yet.

FYI, I found plumbing supply places with showrooms the best source of information. I was intimidated at first...but they deal with this stuff all the time. I ended up with a good price through price matching, so that's always an option whether you buy local or online.

• mydreamhome
    11 years ago

Delta makes a great line called In2ition. We upgraded to it in our last house in the tub.shower combinations. Ours was one of the 'Classic In2ition' models that have a wider spray area similar to a rainshower. The handshower and regular shower head are incorporated into one unit. This allows you to disengage the handshower and use it alone or in combination with the part of the showerhead that remains above. The hand shower part is typically multi-function. Additionally, you can purchase these as a complete set (tub spout, shower controls, & shower head) or just as a shower head allowing you to select whatever shower control & spout style you want.

The link below will take you to Delta's In2ition options--there are 5 pages of them. They have the complete sets on there as well as just the showerhead component by itself. They run the gamut on options--standard, monitor with separate temp controls, etc) and they come in multiple finishes. They don't appear to be in a particular order so I would just scroll through all 5 pages and see if you see anything you like. You can also see some of the styles at your local box store.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Delta In2ition

• chibimimi
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, raehelen and mdh. I'll check those sites. This is all so confusing!

• azmom
    11 years ago

We were in a similar situation last week, I know what you are going through...

Below are how we picked out our plumbing fixtures:

We first called our contractor for a list of exact parts/items we needed including diameters, finishing, size (length, width and height)..etc. so that we would not leave out anything.

The trustworthy plumber we have been using for the last 17 years told us that Delta has good products. So we focus on Delta and its sister brands such as Hansgrohe and Brizo (hope this is correct). We like brushed nickel, modern/contemporary styles that further scaled down the selections. After we found the sink/vanity faucet we liked, we picked matching shower and tub fixtures.

Once we decided what we wanted, we sent the list to our contractor for confirmation, then we placed the orders. We ended with a Hansgrohe system that fit the design.

Since you have time constraint, Amazon would be a good "one stop" shopping place with their fast delivery. I compared the quotes of a list of fixtures from local stores with Amazon's, the prices we got from the local shop were competitive, but Amazon's were more than $100 lower. The actual savings would be more when factoring in the free shipping, and tax.

When online shopping, make sure to check return policy and associated restocking fees. Enjoying your shopping.

• nycbluedevil
    11 years ago

Check out the Jado New Haven series. I used it for my guest bathroom tub/shower. The lines are really clean but not ultra modern. The tub spout is quite long and sleek. I used a pressured balanced valve. I have a Hansgrohe rainhead (a 7" one that is on the small side for an unrelated reason--I wanted to avoid a shower door so wanted something that comes directly down from the ceiling rather than out from the wall). Also used a Hansgrohe handshower. This system allows us to use one thing at a time, which is fine.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH