Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweeby

In a luxury bath with 2 vanities

sweeby
16 years ago

In a high end luxury bath with separate his & hers vanities how much space would you want/expect for his? For hers?

What would you expect as a minimum? In other words, anything less than ___ would feel like not enough.

How much would seem perfect?

And if there was a separate free-standing furniture piece for storage, would any of that change?

Comments (56)

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Bill - That's two vanities, each with one sink at 60" minimum? Or are you intending 60" minimum for two sinks in one vanity?

• chiefneil
    16 years ago

Wow, my sense of measurement is really off! My vanities are each 6.5' wide. I could see giving up 12" easily, any more would probably start to loose that "luxury" feel of having lots of room to spread out. You can see photos in my gallery post below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chief's master bath

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

Here's what we settled on, and it works out fantastically for us.

(Boy I really need to take some more recent photos with all the crown molding finished!)

We've got 8' of counter space and 5' of wall storage. My DH gets the small hanging wall cabinet plus his vanity and I get the rest. I also have a sit-down vanity (standalone piece of furniture). I definitely feel in the lap of luxury. Our total bath size is 16'x20' with a 6'x12' chunk out of one corner.

Could we live with less? Of course (we lived out of a 5x8 for 5 months while we were redoing it, and one weekend shared it with 4 other adults because our shower doors were late). Do we want to? Not on your life! :-)

• topremodeler
    16 years ago

luxury bath with 2 vanities
    luxury bath with 2 vanities

http://www.allnewbath.com

Here is a link that might be useful: luxury bath with 2 vanities

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

You've been TOS'd, bottomfeeder.

Back on topic: I don't have this kind of setup, but if I did, I'd want to go for something at least 36" each, so 72" total.

• coffeebreak
    16 years ago

We are also doing two separate single sink vanities. They are both 48" wide and they are separated by a doorway. They are not installed yet... so unfortunately, I can't give you any real life feedback.

Our vanities are "furniture style." I definitely wanted drawers, so the one we choose has 8 drawers (four on each side) and an open area under the sink.

Our original plan had the vanities back to back as well. At that time, I was a bit concerned with the mirror infinity thing too. There were several folks who mentioned that they also had the same set up, but they didn't notice it or have an issue with it. Just thought I would pass that along...:)

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's what we've ended up with -- one large vanity with a full-height storage section dividing it into a 36" 'his' side and 54" 'hers' side. Opposite the vanity would be a hutch-style cabinet for storage.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Do I see two toilets next to each other in a room?

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

I think one is a bidet ;).

I admit that the off center storage thing would make me nuts in that setup.

• oskiebabu
    16 years ago

Is the purple thing next to the entrance a towel and linen closet? Also, what's up with the chair near the bathtub? Does anyone spend time just sitting in a bathroom, unless it is on a toilet?

Otherthan that you have so much room to do many intersting things inthe bathroom, like a steam spa inthe corner where the chair is.

Greg

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

i think more important than vanity space may be installing two separate WCs. that was the first thing on my list. our vanity area is ten feet long and includes two sinks and a center storage area of about 24". we're also installing a coffee/tea station w/beverage fridge just outside the bathroom by my makeup area and entrance to my closet.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's not two toilets - kgwlisa's right: it's a toilet and bidet. There is definitely such a thing as too much togetherness!

It hadn't occurred to me that having the center storage section off-center might seem weird. I guess I was thinking it just made more sense to have a larger section for her, and smaller for him. Does this strike more of you as wrong?

The purple thing just to the left of the door is what I'm envisioning as a furniture piece for storage - maybe with leaded glass doors and drawers below? Possibly an armoire? Something both pretty and functional.

Greg - You've got a point about the chair -- but I've just seen so many nice pictures of bathrooms with chairs. Could be just a dumb photo prop, but it could also be a nice place to drape a towel or robe while bathing. And I'm guessing you're from up north? Down where we are, the climate is such that a steam spa is about the last thing you'd want in a bathroom. Want steam? Open a window! ;-)

But I am open to other suggestions about what to do with extra space. (Though to me, it doesn't look like there's that much extra.) Kate - The coffee station is between the sitting area and office.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

Sweeby, I love what you did with the bedroom proper, cutting off the corners for closet/office so the room's still rectangular. Quite ingenious. I like that mini closet too...I assume that's for storage of non-clothing stuff like suitcases.

On the bathroom, a couple comments. First, where's the tub? I'd put that under the window, as that seems a must for a luxury bath. Second, where will you put towel racks? I'd shift the vanity down against the outside wall and put towel racks between the shower and vanity. And then put the tub in the corner and downsize to a single centered window. Voila, no room for a chair! :-)

And I'd center the wall cabinet over the vanity. You can still claim 54" of it as yours, even without demarcating it thus. I'd also add a small wall cabinet in the toilet area for spare TP, etc.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Weedy - We had quite a time designing the bedroom on the Decorating forum, and credit for the initial 'diagonal design' definitely belongs over there.

The tub is that large oval thing under the windows. I'm definitely wanting a free-standing 'feature' tub. One thing that may have gotten lost at the top of the post is that the tub end of the room is under a sloped ceiling. Starting from the dotted line, the ceiling will slope down to about 5' at the window wall. To my way of thinking, that means the vanities need to stay further up to the top of the room.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

Ahh, I thought that tub was a rug, since it was by the chair and said "open space" nearby. :-)

Still think you need space for a towel rack. Preferably heated, since this is a luxury bath.

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Ach! I wrote something long and somehow I must have clicked off it last night rather than all the way through...I hate it when that happens!

I'll type it up again tonight...but before then, just let me say that I'm very happy to learn about the toilet/bidet combination :)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I'm confused on the countertop area as well....first, I'd take it to the wall, perhaps a lowered area for a makeup counter with a little slipper chair tucked below? Or just do larger cabinets at each end, and one in the middle...neh wait let me play with it...

This is ROUGH because I don't know how to use the program fully...but just an idea layout (I haven't lowered the ceiling but that wouldn't matter here:
    {{gwi:1421404}}
    {{gwi:1421405}}
    {{gwi:1421406}}
    {{gwi:1421407}}
    {{gwi:1421408}}

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Ach--those shoes! I *hate* clutter! :)

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow - Thanks!

OK - A heated towel rack - I could definitely get into that. I talked to DH, and he strongly prefers the electric to the water-heated, but from what I've read here, the electric don't seem to be as good? And should it be by the shower? By the tub? Both? (Yike$!) Or warming drawer in the furniture storage piece?

Why is the countertop confusing? It's basically just like Igloo drew up (Thanks Igloo!) except I was thinking about having it end sooner. True, there's no real harm in going all the way down to the wall, but I was just thinking that the ceiling height down there (about 5' at the wall) would make that space undesirable for anything done standing, or even for standing up after sitting down at a make-up area. (And all the women in this neighborhood seem to be about 5'10"!)

Also, the windows would be wide and short, starting about 42" off the ground. That way, privacy isn't an issue, except perhaps for the leggy 5'10" babes! Any sight lines would be from across the street at ground level, and this bath is on the second floor.

A rug? Wow - A stone mosaic 'rug' would be fabulous here! The space is just made for it...

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

I love the idea of a stone mosaic rug in the middle of the vast open space. I'm in the process of tiling a rug in the middle of my foyer and am digging the look.

Towel warmers: why not two, a floor model next to your clawfoot tub and a wall model outside your shower? The electric ones work fine; the key is getting something with multiple rails so that more of the surface of your towels are in contact with the rails (we have the Warmrails Kensington, which is selling on Amazon.com for And igloo, you should know that chairs aren't for cats, they're for dirty laundry. At least that's all the one in my DH's closet collects. :-)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I purchased my marble mosaics on ebay from Phoenicianarts (or artists) and I highly recommend them. We're doing a rug in the entry and a mosaic bachsplash. My tile guy was just playing with it today...it's so pretty :)

I really need to take the lessons with the program so I can draw things like this better. That pic was lacking but I was trying to show a tub in the corner verses centered so the cabinets could go to the end of the wall. I'll play more if I get a chance (we're getting ready to take the little guy down to the hospital again next week).

DO A WARMING DRAWER!!! I swear if I ever build again, I'll have a warming drawer in the bathroom. In fact....I probably can't draw it, but let me try...you could extend the bath tub surround out another 30" towards that corner and put the warming drawer at bath level (I've seen this in mags) and have that nice area for decorative accent pieces or whatever. It could flow around the corner into a lower amoire type piece at the corner up to the ceiling, trimmed out with crown molding. Then you could LOSE the cabinet on the door side of the tub and put your pretty little chair over there for the puppy to pee on...

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Sweeby honey..you're keeping me up at night. Please reply with the window sizes and height up from the floor so I can sleep? :oP I need to redesign this entire room and make myself happy!

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's an Excel sketch up of a 'slice' view to show what I'm envisioning. As you can see, the ceiling drop is a big factor and makes the tub end less useful for all but the very shortest.

And below are plans showing both the straight and diagonal tub versions. Igloo - Do you still prefer the diagonal position even if the vanity cabinets can't function down at the short end? I kind of like the view having the tub in the center because that would make it more of a focal point and would enhance the feeling of spaciousness.

I know WDs are fabulous - but if you have to cross the bathroom to get to the towels, the whole system kind of fails in my view. I'm a stickler for having towels within reach, and if they're going to be warm, then that means the warmer has to be within reach. But for under $200, I could do two... Nice to hear there are some that are both reasonably priced and reasonably effective. (Of course in our climate, they're not nearly as necessary as they would be in the tundra!)

Igloo - I'm really wanting a freestanding tub, either clawfoot or pedestal. And in my bath, the cat WILL claim the chair, dirty laundry or not - especially if there's a warm towel on it. The fuzzy dog (an Aussie) prefers to sprawl on cool tile, so he'll cover up any tile rug... ;-)

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Ok let me play with this. I do like the idea of the free standing tub as well. Let me throw out a couple of ideas though to think of while I'm away searching like a fool for granite...

First, can the tub area be recessed...ie a step down area dedicated to the tub? This would make it more comfortable to use...but I don't know what's in the floor to play with that. For shorter ceilings, this is often why people don't use a free standing tub though, because you have to stand full height to get in and out, while in a built in you can get out a bit easier while bending.

Any chance of a dormer over that tub area in the design? This would raise the ceiling just that much over the tub to make it more functional.

You have a lot of oposing doors in there...any chance of a pocket door going into the main bathroom area? (Built to slide into the wall where the toilets are). I say this because this would allow you to possibly put the tub where the amoire is and do built in's on the sloped side with a window seat at each window (one for the cat...one for the dog). It would use the low space better, and I think the flow would be better as far as the cabinetry. You could also get the warming drawer into one of the end cabinets right by the free standing tub...

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A step-down might work -- This area will be new construction (add-on), so we'll have some leeway. The area below it will be a garage. But I think you lose some of the charm of a free-standing tub if you 'bury' the legs or platform in a sunken floor. I do see your point about having a ledge to sit on, and how that would make getting in and out of the tub much nicer. That would also disguise things if we 'sink' the tub in the floor somewhat. I may have to mock something up just to try it out.

A dormer, sadly, just wouldn't IMO look right with the style of the house, but I can sure appreciate how it would help the space on the inside.

Pocket doors are certainly a possibility, though the door swings don't collide, and wouldn't if we move the tub. Moving the tub to the wall opposite the vanities could work - the cabinetry sure does make sense... But somehow, it feels so conventional! And I love having a tub under the windows.

Time for a mock-up.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So what do you all think of this type of tilework? It says it's floor-safe, though I have my doubts. There are several similar murals that would be wonderful in the shower room, and complementary accent tiles and borders to do a fabulous whole-room. I'd envision it with a saltillo-look ceramic on the floors and hand-made cream field tiles on the walls. I know it's not exactly neutral - but what do you think?

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is that a resounding "No" ? --
    Or is no one looking?

I really do want opinions, even if they're not favorable.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

Those are very dominant patterns, and you would definitely have to build/decorate your bathroom (and possibly your master suite or even house) around it. Your profile says you're on the gulf coast of TX, so if your house is Spanish style that would work.

Also, those are "wake-up" designs, not "relax" designs, so again, you need to consider the atmosphere you're working to create.

• barker_tx
    16 years ago

the mosaic floor tile is gorgeous - I'm jealous
    Carolyn

• lazypup
    16 years ago

My DW and I have worked out the perfect spacing for two vanities..Mine is in MY HOUSE and hers is in HER HOUSE.

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

The bathroom layout you propose is very nearly identical to my master, except that my door is closer to where your linen cabinet is and my cabinet is roughly where your door is. My long counter with two sinks drops down on the end toward the bath and forms a vanity desk with a pretty chair. We love the layout. I have a view of woods from the window over the bath. Personally, I would not want two water closets in the same bathroom. I'd want two completely separate bathrooms or a layout similar to what you have proposed. The dogs and cat sometimes come in to check on us when we're in the jacuzzi, but, other than that, they don't hang out in there. The cat, who is basically in charge of the entire animal kingdom, spends very little time in there. I love those colorful ceramic mosaics, but, as you know, I'm a lover of colorful ceramics. I'm not sure how well they go with the rest of your vision for your home. As an aside, I'm one who thinks the importance of symmetry is often overrated, so countertops that are divided unequally for the sake of practicality do not disturb me in the least.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Wake up designs" -- Very apt description, and an aspect I hadn't really considered. I'm OK with a "Wake Up!" bathroom since that's when I spend the most time in there. Not exactly the "ahhhh spa" bath that seems to be the current norm...

And you're also completely right about the strong design statement those tiles make. I'm a total "tile junkie" so that's a plus for me. But then, we do plan to resell this house fairly soon after completion, so "mass market appeal" really does need to be a consideration. The overall style of the house is kind of "rustic, masculine, outdoorsy but sophisticated" (a friend dubbed it "Portland") -- so I'm not sure if these would go or not...

LOL Lazypup!

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

If resale is up there on the list of considerations, then I wouldn't use those tiles, despite the fact that I love them. When homes are shown to buyers, I think viewers respond to integrity of overall design. If one element stands apart, it can be too personal and interfere with the buyers' ability to project him/herself into the place. OTOH, where you are, one tile treatment is unlikely to interfere all that much with purchase.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I don't see the pictures :(

Ok I'm going to go play with your room again!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Sweeby honey...the windows...can you tell me their size? And how high are they off the floor? I'm drawing them in and I have them just a few inches off the floor, right up to the slope of the ceiling...is that right?

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

From up above:
    Also, the windows would be wide and short, starting about 42" off the ground.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Ok here's a few ideas. Remember I'm very very very new at this and can't do the training because I have a sick 2 year old...(this is to explain the floating lights above the sinks):

{{gwi:1421413}}

{{gwi:1421414}}

{{gwi:1421416}}

{{gwi:1421418}}

I like the pocket door because it's not going to be thumping the tub when it opens. I also like this tub location because you get to enjoy the view when bathing and it puts the tub in a visably nice location, but also allows reasonable vanity area. I put in a 15" deep cabinet on the far wall tucked up to the windows, which is nice for storage. I'd do a nice ogee edge that flowed around the vanities to show this off. The center sinks are 27" deep and the highboy is 24" deep. Again this allows you to have some lovely defination in the countertop design.

My personal counters are 27" deep and for the transition to the lower edges, they each have a 3" spice pullout which is fabulous for the typical bottles you have in a bathroom. I'd do that on each side of your sinks if it were me. This software does not allow me to do that type of detail in a drawing.

Your cabinets are 32" here, with a vessel sink. You'd feel like you had more counter space if you did recessed sinks...but either way works. I'd also consider glass with lighting in it for that highboy piece...

I don't have the ability to draw a towel warmer (because I have to pay for it LOL) but you could tuck one on the side of the tub, on the door wall on either end of the tub.

I didn't make a drawer fit in...I'm not sure if I could frankly...there's just not enough room for another 30" cabinet if the tub isn't built in.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Well hoey I missed weedy's post...here I go again!

• igloochic
    16 years ago
  • igloochic
    16 years ago
  • sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh wow! I take a day to go to my son's 'Spring Fling' and look what's happened!

Igloo - I LOVE the cozy aspect you've given to the sloped area! (Did I mention I'm a window seat junkie?) I also like the way you've pulled the sinks forward and made the countertops deeper. And I agree that glass on the doors would be wonderful - leaded?

If you're still in the mood for drawing, I'd love it if you could sketch up something slightly different. I'd love to see what it would look like if 'her' vanity was where the tub is shown, and the tub and 'his' vanity were located along the long wall. Except that might mess up the fabulous window seat thing you've got going... (Though the two windows aren't set in stone -- could be one, could be three -- only the height is pretty firm.

But THANK YOU for the fabulous renditions.

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

I love the window seats too...for both the seating and the extra storage.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

It's akward dear...I love the ideas of having them separate but with the slope...it's tough to make it work with two vanities and the tub, again because of the difficulty with the tub. A built in might work better, but really, I like the above better than this. I prefer the windows centered and I love having the two window seats. You'd get a great deal of storage and use out of those, and they're so much more charming than this...

{{gwi:1421426}}

{{gwi:1421429}}

{{gwi:1421431}}

{{gwi:1421433}}

{{gwi:1421435}}

• igloochic
    16 years ago

You know, I'm thinking we could change out the vanity on the door wall and wrap it around the corner...I can play with that, but I still like the full window seat best frankly, mostly because of the lowered wall. I think it's best to fill it with storage and seating so you dont' stand and hit your head. Besides, the two seats give the cat one seat to sleep in and the other can be used for your towels :oP

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

You need two cats.

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"You need two cats."
    LOL! Tell that to the one we've already got -- She barely tolerates the dog. Heck, she barely tolerates the kids! ;-)

Igloo - Are you up for one more rendition? What about one 6' wide window centered on the exterior wall, with a single window seat below it and flanked by 36" wide tall cabinets. Then either his & hers vanities or a long double vanity on the wall opposite the door, but with more countertop space by the sinks - no tall cabs on that wall. Keep the tub on the door wall, and of course, the pocket door ;-)

If you don't mind - What software are you using, and do you like it? And how steep is the learning curve? I've got a lot more to do on this place...

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Ok let's see if I can do this....

First this is the window seat wall for either option:
    {{gwi:1421438}}

This is the overview of my favorite of these options, which is to have a 6" cubby cabinet between the vanities raised up to 36" so you have some separation between church and state :) It would look lovely filled with rolled up towels etc and I'd angle the ends of the cabinets with an angled 3" filler to the 24" debth of this piece so that you get a more custom look as I discussed before. I just can't draw that without 20/20 (a cabinet program)
    {{gwi:1421441}}

{{gwi:1421444}}

By the way these are both 48" vanities. Here's the look without the little filler:
    {{gwi:1421446}}

I like some break frankly. It allows whoever is the messy one to keep their mess on their side. This could be important to another owner in the future (ok me) :oP

The program I'm using is called Chief Architecht. I've had no training and can muddle. If DS would give me a few hours so I could take the training video's that came with it, I'd probably be pretty good. It's not hard, it's not easy...but once you kind of get the general idea, it's fairly easy to muddle in. I'd just like to get a bit better.

This is the upgraded version of BH&G's home design programs. It's actually used by architechts to design homes so it's pretty pricy, but my intent is to use it for our rental remodels and it will save me significant fees so it's worth it for me...but the highest level of the BH&G program would do much of what this does and would cost a couple thousand less.

SO just for fun...How about a more cottage style with changed finishes?
    {{gwi:1421449}}
    {{gwi:1421452}}
    {{gwi:1421455}}
    {{gwi:1421457}}

• sweeby
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Igloo! I really like that last layout, and have to agree with you about the little separation probably being a good thing. (Don't tell anyone, but I'm the messier one...)

We're not a rolled-up towel couple, but maybe apothocary drawers down below (perhaps the *one* place where they'd actually make sense rather than just looking cute?) and back-to-back metal sink tilt-outs up top for his razor & her curling iron? With a hidden outlet? Would you make both vanities the same height? Do you think it would look funny if they weren't?

And I'm really liking that window wall now -- Tall built-ins plus a window seat was brilliant! If the tub is not going to be directly in front of the windows, they could actually be a bit taller even - 24" maybe?

In terms of decor, we got a great deal on some Rojo Alicante marble slab tiles - 16" x 32". I was thinking about using those on the floors and as wainscoting (we have over 300 SF) and having the cabinets be either espresso stain or perhaps cream paint, though we're not totally committed. (In other words, your first color choices were pretty dead-on.) We'd like to use some exposed beams in the living room and master bedroom, and tie them in here somehow, but I'm not sure how to pull that look off...

Thanks so much for your help with this -- I'm really liking this last iteration.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I have 12 apothacary drawers built into my vanity..they're fabulous in a bathroom! I don't do towels either LOL (rolled up) because the cats rub the ends and they have cat hair and that ruins the look LOL

I like that tilt out idea as well!

I would do the same height vanities myself. I like an inbetween height (32") instead of the usual 30" or kitchen 34". I'd raise that to 34" if you're not using a vessel, or right up to 36" without the vessel (kitchen height). A good way to get a feel for this is to set a bowl on a cardboard box. Not having the vessel does give you a great deal more counter space, but I kind of like the look. I"m going with the compromise with a half sunk vessel sink. Just take that little center piece a good 4 to 6 inches higher and then trim it out with a nice piece of countertop and it will look great :)

You certainly have room to play with that window height. I can't remember (and am too busy to scroll up and read LOL) if that's a private space or not. In my picture you have a lovely mountain view and no neighbors LOL but reality might change that. You could fill the seat with window or go with a lower back and cushions on each end since it's really not likely to be a regular seat (a great place to display really gorgeous pillows!).

I made the seat 15" deep, but you could play with that (I wanted room to open the doors on the cabinets). You could pop that portion out another 3" or so if you wanted a deeper seat, using the same angle lines that I suggested on the counters, which would carry the theme. I personally would do more drawers than doors, but on the upper, it's easier to have doors and shelfs when it comes to that custom slant area.

I really do love that wall for the built ins and the window seat. I think it looks so nice :) In either design (with two or one). I'd want to see what the window looks like from the outside (one large or two smaller) to make the final decision because from the inside, either one works.

I also like that tub on the back wall because I wouldn't like to be bathing with the door opening right into the tub view. Not that you bath with company wandering the site...but ya never know :oP To me I need that extra privacy to escape :) That being said...mine is somewhat in the door view because my room is such a funny shape.

I can't wait to see what you actually end up with. I saw the other bathroom sneak peak and I know whatever you do...it will be gorgeous!

I'm doing a marmarmino plaster (venetian) in my master bath...it's a gorgeous surface and so luxurious....put DH to work on that too :oP LOL Your room sounds like it will have some of the same tones...I'm all about the coffee, chocolate, crema latte and milk tones in our master :) My cabinets are a deep stained cherry in an espresso brown tone. THe shower is croc in deep brown and the trims and floors as well as the walls are all in light travertine or venetian plaster the same tone as the travertine. Then light counters, white toilet and tub, and towels. All oil rubbed bronze fixtures, and my pulls are all in an antique gold (all shells from the Anne at home Line).

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Just found this, and want to play too.....If I had your design program, I'd like to see the window as the backsplash behind the sinks with the depth determined by upper/lower cabs adjusted to average user height comfortably fit.