Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How difficult to replace tile?

Posted by attofarad (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 12:02

How difficult is it to replace a tile without accidentally chipping adjacent tiles? The one in question only has tile above and to the left -- the vanity below can be moved out of the way, and there is an un-tiled wall to the right, perpendicular to the tiled wall.

The tile juts out too far one one end. Some of the others are a bit off, but this one is the worst, and is in the most noticeable place. More obvious in person than in the photo. The tiles are about 12"x36"

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How difficult to replace tile?

I did it on a 4x4 tile a while ago. It wasn't that difficult, but I was trying to replace a broken tile on an old bathroom floor. Your gorgeous wall tile will probably be a bigger challenge.

First I taped off the surrounding tiles. Then I used a grout saw and cut along the edges of the broken tile. Next, I used a chisel and hammer and very slowly and gently broke into the offending tile and chiseled it all out. I actually used dental tools to get the last pieces out (you can get dental tools from the art supply store - sculptors use them). If you take your time and are gentle, you can do it. However, getting the backing level enough so the replacement tile is set exactly how you need it to be is going to be a lot of careful sanding work. It's possible your end result might not be any better, or you end up nicking another tile.

o
RE: How difficult to replace tile?

Thanks Christa. It is really the possibliity of nicking the adjacent tile that has me concerned. The nominal grout line is (supposed to be) just 1/16" An experienced tile guy would do the work, not me. I have several extra tile, and they are current production so I could get more.

Gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here