Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower replacement

Posted by Barry8888 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 11:44

I recently got an estimate for ripping out a 38x30x38 shower enclosure, replacing walls and retiling with 4x4 ceramic tiles. I was quoted $2412.00. I did some homework and found that 6x6 tiles were more efficient with grouting, etc. so I asked contractor how much to use 6x6 tiles. I was quoted an extra $200.00. From where I stand, using 6x6 tiles is less grouting and cutting, and should not cost any more money. Can anyone give me some feedback on both the price and the extra cost justification?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower replacement

Are the tiles the same cost per sq ft? What waterproofing system is your contractor using behind those tiles?

o

Did you ask your contractor the reason for the extra cost?
That might be a start : ) I kinda thought the price sounded fairly reasonable--is he doing all of the install as well as the tiles? I've priced a lot of tile jobs a zillion different ways, also done a number of my own. The labour/materiel cost savings from 4x4 to 6x6 tiles that you're citing (cutting fewer tiles, less grout, fewer tiles to buy & set) really are negligible, probably in the range of $20-40, if that--depends on the size of the job.

Sometimes larger/thicker tiles are harder to cut, requiring a wet saw instead of a tile cutter which will add to the cost, or they might break more easily.

If you're looking to save money, skip the tiles and go with a pre-fab shower unit.

o

Larger tiles doesn't mean any less cuts. In many cases, it means more cuts because the smaller ones can fit into the space without major cutting. And more wastage needs to be calculated into the mix. 6x6 also costs more per square footage for the tile itself.

But, you're focusing on the cosmetic, and the important thing is how the shower pan will be built and how they will waterproof the walls. You need to find out about that or you may be doing the same project again in 4-5 years with leaks behind the walls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here