Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How high should bathroom tile go up on wall?

Posted by twogirlsbigtrouble (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 11:27

Trying to plan our tile for the master bath. I am curious to know how high the tile should go up the wall. We plan to have it all the way around the bathroom (behind toilet, vanity, tub, etc.). Is there a general rule? Or a certain height that looks good always?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How high should bathroom tile go up on wall?

The minimum should be 6 feet from the base. I prefer at least 6 and a half to 7 feet. Some people like to go all the way to the ceiling. Much depends on your taste, how tall the shower head is, and whether you want extra protection from mold (or potential splashes on the paint, that could eventually cause problems).

Greg

o

Oh maybe I should clarify. We have a seperate tile shower, so Im just asking about wall tile in the other areas.

o

In one bathroom we went 3 feet. the other bathroom all the way to the ceiling (throughout the bathroom including the shower). The shorter is more classic, the full height looks more modern.

o

We went with 38" and capped with a trim tile to look like a chair rail.

o

While you'll see answers anywhere from 36" to 72", the norm is usually between 42" and 52", depending on where your vanity, mirror (or hutch), and electrical switches and outlets fall. You want to make sure that especially the electrical face plates fall either all on, or all off the FIELD tile (It can't have any raised tiles like chair rail or raised pencil liners falling underneath the plates, either).

o

I found upon doing some demo that a wooden chair rail (utility rail?) was run at 42 inch height. I put my tile chair rail at that height and it looks very natural. It doesn't interfere with the medicine cabinet, which nestles in just above the chair rail.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here