Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom8olvr_gw

ideas for a 'cheap' update

tom8olvr
16 years ago

We recently moved to a small raised ranch (the house we aren't thrilled with, but the yard - ie large lake in the back yard with 90' of waterfront, etc. we are thrilled with). History - house was built in 1974 and not much was changed since then! We tore out all the carpet (even in the bathroom - yuck) and put hard woods everywhere (except the baths). Changed some walls  configurations  kitchen is all ÂnewÂ.

Bathrooms we really havenÂt done much except: When we pulled up the carpet AND the FIRST layer of linoleum, there was the 1970Âs original linoleum (Âfake marble with flecks of glitter  oh la la!) underneath (that wasnÂt in all that bad a shape). So weÂve been living with it  but now weÂve decided enough is enough (even though EVERYTHING is in excellent shape in the room) time to get out of the 70Âs!

We want to Âupdate the counter top, sink, bath tub, tiled floors, and toilet so it doesnÂt look like the 70Âs.

We bought ceramic tile. Very nice  stuff happy with it.

WeÂve bought 2 different sink tops (solid surface) and I changed my mind and returned it. Ideas on sink tops and sinks?

Cabinets are fine great shape  I updated the pulls to brushed nickel and IÂm happy with it. Faucet is new  love that too (also nickel)Â

Toilet  IÂm thinking the American Standard Club Cadet III??? Anyone? Or should we just go with THE DRAKE (LOVE THE DRAKE Seinfeld reference) Toto? Thoughts? Something thatÂs WATER efficient would be great  the one we got is a guzzler (but still manages to get clogged!).

AND now the last question  the shower tub is in EXCELLENT shape  I think itÂs one of those cast iron jobbies  HEAVY no chips no discoloration, nothing HOWEVER itÂs an UGO color. Tile behind is also in great shape  but UG-LY ! Does anyone have experience with Miracle Method? I hate to spend the cost of putting in a replacement tub when the one there is not a bad tub (just ugly colored) and a resurface might be just what I need to make it look fresh and new.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miracle Method Link

Comments (10)

• claybabe
    16 years ago

I love my Cadet III. I also love my Toto. I'm replacing toilets in the house that we are selling with Cadets.

The tub and tile we had was also Ugly. Also in good shape. So I just put a nice shower curtain up that covered most of the distracting color and tile and forgot about it. Then I changed the wall color and it actually made it look better. New tile floor and it's Just Fine!

How about some photos?

• kob1234
    16 years ago

Dear I not similar with Miracle Method, but the web site look good.
    any way jest to let you know you can re do it by your self and it is very easy just buy the tile that you like and tile over the one that you have right know.
    ItÂs supposed to be very cheap for you and may by some nice adventure to do it with your hands.

• mpmchugh
    16 years ago

We recycled a 1924 Crane 66 inch long 25 inch wide and very very deep cast iron tub for $200 and had it re-done for another $400. You can not buy a new tub for that price. Not sure how it was re-done but it looks great. If you have a cast iron tub... DO NOT get rid of it...if you do not have to. There are places that will come in and re-do tubs and tile at a very reasonable price. Check the yellow pages, for tub refinshers. I have heard that with the economy as it is now.... re-finishing has become a very viable option vs ripping out and buying new. Good luck!!

• debtro
    16 years ago

We saw Miracle Method in a showroom. The refinished tubs and sinks looked fine. However I really don't know anything about refinishing so cannot comment on quality just looks.

The tub and sink basin refinishing looked fine but the tile refinishing did not. For the tile refinishing they said looked like "stone", no it didn't, it looked like those textured stone-look spraypaints you get at craft stores.

• kob1234
    16 years ago

Hey guys something that I used that you may like.
    I re do my shower a 7 month ago and I use "Sun Touch"
    To keep the floor hot all the year specially in the cold winter,
    Before u had a carpet in side the shower it was a worm filling for our legs after every shower or in the cold morning.
    So I found the best solutions its called Sun Touch,
    You can find it cheaper price in this web site www.tiledepot.us
    Any way I add the direct link

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiledepot.us

• tom8olvr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ok, here are some pictures of my ugo-ugly bathroom. It was tough because its such a small area to actually get a picture of something I'd have to be out of the room! :)

Here is the shower - the tile is in excellent shape and the tub is in great shape but the gray is ugo-ugly and the tile is worse. I will be removing the shower door (Yuck!).

Here's the ugo tile:

Again, I would like to have these resurfaced or something - because the tile is in good shape! But I would like some feed back if anyone has had experience with any of those resurfacing people/companyies (like Miracle Method).

Here's the floor - the linoleum circa 1974! Glitter and all!

Here's the light fixture as a bonus! Look at that thang!

Las Vegas has nothing on this cabinet - IN LIGHTS!!!

This is the bathroom from the door:

shower is off to the left.

Vanity - not too bad, but I'd like to update the counter top.

And now the kicker -

Help!! :)

• jperiod
    16 years ago

That's not nearly as bad as I was picturing! LOL But gotta love the pink flower tiles in the shower! I truly think a coat of paint on the walls would work miracles for that gray. Take down the wooden fixtures. Replace toilet and countertop. Consider painting, faux finishing, resurfacing, your oak cabinets. Put up a shower curtain. Tile the floor. I'd say you'd be good to go. I haven't read good things about durability with refinishing, so I'd be hesitant to spend the money on something that might not last long.

• cindy_socal
    16 years ago

I agree - it's not awful, just needs updating. Put in a nice ceramic floor, remove all the wood "accents." Easy to find brushed nickel hardware. I'd paint the vanity and cabinet, remove the sliding shower door and replace with a really nice double curtain arrangement and put a matching valance over the window. The counter top isn't awful; depends on what you want instead. If it's an 18" vanity, it gets tricky to replace. (We just installed a granite top with undermount sink for an 18" and it was a challenge. Found a small sink and mounted faucet & soap dispenser offset in back corner.)

We also just put in a Cadet 3 toilet; love it.

Good luck!

• weedyacres
    16 years ago

My recommendations:
    -Paint the vanity/linen closet. Sure, the oak grain will show through a bit, but it'll look much improved/updated.
    -Replace the countertop with stone or stone-like solid surface.
    -Replace the medicine cabinet, light fixture, towel bars, TP holder & toilet.
    -Put peel & stick vinyl tiles over the floor you've got in a more updated pattern.
    -Paint the room in a color that makes the gray tile look like you did it on purpose (decorating forum can help).
    -Personally the shower door doesn't bother me that much, but if it does you, take it out!

• toadangel
    16 years ago

i agree with some above - personally i think that tile is worth keeping and updating around it...

also, i don't know much about this, but i know asbestos was used in some of that type of flooring until the late 70's, so you may want to have that checked if you plan to possibly rip it up.

lisa