Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I need advice on how this niche looks and what to do.

Posted by artsylois (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 10:38

What do you think about this niche? The right corner bothers me and I don't know if I should ask the tile man about the tile cut. Also the tile on the left has a 1 1/2 inch scratch on it. What should I do? I never had anything tiled before so I don't know what to expect. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I need advice on how this niche looks and what to do.

That doesn't look right. They should have used bullnose tile to finish off the edges, or a piece of marble or one of the other stones to line the niche (the emperador dark on the bottom of your niche would look smashing as a liner for the side walls and the top of the niche).

We used White Thassos to line all of our niches, and also for the shelves in two of them. Here are some pics:

Niche photo IMG_1956.jpg

photo IMG_4041.jpg

photo IMG_4105.jpg

HTH!

o

You should be bothered because it is sloppy workmanship. The sill should also be one piece. Why is it in two? He could have at least used a dark grout there.

The upper right tile is cut very crooked. It also looks as if there are little chips along the edges of the cuts. They should at least be filed smooth. A worn blade can do that.

Upper left also looks wavy. He does not cut straight. Upper corner of lower right tile is lopped off.

I wonder if there's a liner or edge tile that would fit over top the edges rather than trying to rip it out. If the sill is easier to get out, maybe remove that one so it extends further to allow edging.

I would be curious to know where you found your tile man.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 21:33

o

That is unacceptable. Period.

-Babka

o

Completely unacceptable. I hope that you have not paid in full yet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here