Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What did you put next to your wood-look tile?

Posted by laurajane02 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 10:36

Hi!

For those of you who put a wood-look tile in your bathroom, what type of flooring did you transition to?

We've chosen wide plank oak floors for most of our house but we need to choose a tile for the bathrooms. I would think that putting wood tile in a bathroom when you have real wood just outside would be a faux pas, right?

This is one bathroom photo that DH and I both like (we usually disagree)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What did you put next to your wood-look tile?

That is my feeling too. I am about to begin renovation of a 1900 sq ft 1979 ranch and it currently has no flooring due to a flood. I love the wood look tile but I am planning hardwood for the hallways and bedrooms that butt up to the baths. I like tile with a textured directional look so I am considering something in the Dal-tile Fabrique series.

But if the colors were quite different in the hardwood and the wood look tile and you have a transition piece of marble or granite in the doorway, it might look OK.

o

I've posted about this porcelain tile elsewhere, but you may want to consider Porcelanosa's tile. It's pricey at about $15-16 per square foot, but it's beautiful and comes wide planked and long. I live in a 190-year-old house and considered using it in my bathroom paired with calacatta gold, but I couldn't find a color (or grain pattern) that looked right with the original heart of pine flooring (which is stained or aged to a caramel color). I ended up just using all calacatta gold, but I was very close to doing it anyway.

The colors I liked best were the Montana series (cottage and noche, in particular) and the Roble series (Casona in particular).

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelanosa wood tile

o

I recently used a wood look tile throughout my main living areas and hallway. i transitioned to stained oak in the bedrooms. I didnt try to match the tile with the stain, but I think the transition is very smooth nonetheless.

Photobucket

o

twn85 ~ Thanks for posting your photo. I agree, your transition definitely looks seamless. I also really like the warm medium brown shade of tile that you chose.

KevinMP ~ Thanks for the link. I notice that a lot of the rooms featured on that website have the wood tile with a modern minimalist decor style.

hags00 ~ The Dal-tile that you've chosen also seems like a nice option.

I'm so glad that I have some time before this choice has to be made!

o

I just disliked most other options (the ones I was able to find in person) because they were too short (24") or had unrealistic grain. The Porcelanosa advertises modern because it's a Spanish company (the tiles are made there, too), but they don't look modern in person.

o

I haven't seen many wood tiles in person, however, I've read that it's important to buy a good quality tile if you want thin grout lines. Apparently, the cheaper ones tend to have more warping?

I think I would choose a herringbone pattern in the bathroom to further discern it from the oak floor in the bedroom, in which case, wouldn't 24" be adequate?

The Porcelanosa is beautiful but the price makes me reconsider my original plan of Ming Green marble.

o

I would love to pin your photo. Would you be able to reveal where you posted the picture from if possible? Thanks!

o

twn85, what tile did you use? It looks really nice, and I have been looking for something similar to that.

o

SaraKat ~ That photo was a facebook posting from a magazine. Perhaps House Beautiful? Canadian House and Home? I can't remember, I just saved it to my computer when I saw it.

o

Astridh... Its a 6x36 tile made by an Italian company ABK. The series Is woodway noce.

o

Thanks!

o

TW85 Awesome job! We are renovating our kitchen and are doing wood look tile. We want a heated floor as living in CT it would be so nice to have something warm to walk on on a cold winter day. We are going to look at the tile today so wish us luck. My DH loves the dark wood I just love a strong floor that our grandsons can't ruin:) we hope. Here is an image of our 80's kitchen with wood floor...I can't wait to get it done!

o

I have some in my masterbath, but the bedroom is carpeted. I love it but am putting traditional tile in the laundry room because it adjoins wood floor.

o

Minkly, Good luck! There are so many quality wood look tiles out there. I envy your future heated floors. I so badly wanted heat in our home, but it was just too much flooring to justify the cost. Fuzzy socks and slippers are much more cost effective.
Update us on what you fins out there and on you kitchen progress

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here