Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardie backer seams

Posted by kali2024 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 10:14

Hi everyone.. Do I need to use alkali resistant tape and thin set over all the seams AND then laticrete fabric and waterproofing membrane on top or is the waterproofing membrane and fabric enough?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardie backer seams

Yes, you need to tape the seams. It's needed for when the house moves.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 14:00

o
RE: Hardie backer seams

Are you using Hydroban?

If so, read the Hydroban instructions. If you do a neat job installing your cement board, you can treat/fill the cement board seams with HB, then once that treatment has dried, you can do your full-coverage coats.

I highly encourage you to read the PDF on Laticrete's website.

If you do go the alkali tape and thinset route to treat the panel seams, do not create speedbumps. Remember, this isn't drywall. You're simply looking to tape the seam and fill the gap with thinset. You want the face of the board to be dead flat. No Speedbumps!

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here