Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeapples

Is 2 cm too thin for a marble double vanity counter top?

threeapples
11 years ago

This is Nero marquina if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Comments (17)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

That is a bit over 3/4 inch. (0.80 inch). Sometimes slabs are this thickness, placed on 3/4 substrate and the edges are built up with another piece to create a 1-1/2" edge. It depends somewhat on what kind of edge detail you want.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

This seems to be the thickness (3/4) of vintage sink countertops I've seen made out of stonem around here.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Generally, the 2cm stuff should be "supported" underneath. In my area, there is a full layer of plywood that goes down first, then the 2cm thickness stuff goes on top and, yes, the edge is built up to appear to be thicker.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think this is a great idea, kirkhall. I asked the fabricator and he said it's not necessary, but I'll insist on it.

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

Have a look at Pottery Barn's online vanities. They use 2cm marble tops and some owners say in reviews that they look skimpy. Noticeably thinner than what you usually see, but maybe only for TBO!?

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 22:59

• shanghaimom
    11 years ago

Oh, I just looked up your stone--fabulous!! Showstopper marble.

Just have them reinforce, and build the edge profile up, like the others said.

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

I have 2 cm because I wanted to be able to use it for the knee wall caps and shower surround/threshhold, too, and it's been perfectly fine.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to both of you!

• elphaba_gw
    11 years ago

2 cm works great for our quartz. We didn't have the edge build up -- needed every bit of space we could have so it didn't interfere with door molding - (long story) - but real reason I'm posting here is that I found some info about trends in bathrooms and learned that in Europe, the trend is for 2 cm without the edge build up, who woulda thought? LOL
    Also, by the way, my fabricator also said that plywood beneath was not necessary for our quartz so I didn't go that route. Here is what "thin" looks like (and I would have had the buildout edge if I would have had room - oh well):

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

quartz is a harder stone than marble.

• kudzu9
    11 years ago

threeapples-
    I was trying to match existing granite in my kitchen, but the only match was 2cm, which was thinner than the existing countertops. When I told my fabricator that I was concerned about the seam in the middle from a built-up edge, he said: "No problem, we'll cut all the pieces at a 45 degree angle and the seams will be along the edges where you can't see them." Take a look at these photos and see what you think:

{{gwi:1419732}}

{{gwi:1419733}}

He even showed me samples where he had done this with highly figured marble, and he just matched the cut pieces at the seam line so it looked like the pattern wrapped over the edge and down the sides as if it were a solid 4cm slab. If you can find a fabricator who has the skill to do this properly, it's amazing, and they can give you whatever perceived thickness you want without obvious seams.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cool technique, thanks!

• athensmomof3
    11 years ago

Ditto the above. My mom used 2 cm thassos marble and had it built up to 3cm in her guest bath as she needed only a small piece and the remnant she found was 2 cm. Looks great and cannot tell at all!

• kaysd
    11 years ago

We used 2 cm White Macaubas without a built-up edge on the perimeter cabinets in our kitchen. I wanted something modern and liked the look in pictures of European kitchens. Our cabinet maker built our base cabinets with solid tops, rather than the usual separate sheet of plywood on top of the cabinets, since there is not a built-up edge to hide the plywood.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, kaysd. our fabricator insists we do not need a plywood base. our builder has offered to put some wood in to support the marble. i'll see what they say when i bring it up again.

• threeapples
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Good news--the supplier got it in 3 cm for us so no worries there.