Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is 2 cm too thin for a marble double vanity counter top?

Posted by threeapples (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 9:59

This is Nero marquina if that makes any difference. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is 2 cm too thin for a marble double vanity counter top?

That is a bit over 3/4 inch. (0.80 inch). Sometimes slabs are this thickness, placed on 3/4 substrate and the edges are built up with another piece to create a 1-1/2" edge. It depends somewhat on what kind of edge detail you want.

o
also

This seems to be the thickness (3/4) of vintage sink countertops I've seen made out of stonem around here.

o

Generally, the 2cm stuff should be "supported" underneath. In my area, there is a full layer of plywood that goes down first, then the 2cm thickness stuff goes on top and, yes, the edge is built up to appear to be thicker.

o

I think this is a great idea, kirkhall. I asked the fabricator and he said it's not necessary, but I'll insist on it.

o

Have a look at Pottery Barn's online vanities. They use 2cm marble tops and some owners say in reviews that they look skimpy. Noticeably thinner than what you usually see, but maybe only for TBO!?

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 22:59

o

Shanghaimom, I may not have a choice.
One quote for the 3 cm was outrageous and the other one wasn't large enough to do the vanity without a seam down the center, which I don't want.

o

Oh, I just looked up your stone--fabulous!! Showstopper marble.

Just have them reinforce, and build the edge profile up, like the others said.

o

I have 2 cm because I wanted to be able to use it for the knee wall caps and shower surround/threshhold, too, and it's been perfectly fine.

o

Thanks to both of you!

o

2 cm works great for our quartz. We didn't have the edge build up -- needed every bit of space we could have so it didn't interfere with door molding - (long story) - but real reason I'm posting here is that I found some info about trends in bathrooms and learned that in Europe, the trend is for 2 cm without the edge build up, who woulda thought? LOL
Also, by the way, my fabricator also said that plywood beneath was not necessary for our quartz so I didn't go that route. Here is what "thin" looks like (and I would have had the buildout edge if I would have had room - oh well):

o

quartz is a harder stone than marble.

o

threeapples-
I was trying to match existing granite in my kitchen, but the only match was 2cm, which was thinner than the existing countertops. When I told my fabricator that I was concerned about the seam in the middle from a built-up edge, he said: "No problem, we'll cut all the pieces at a 45 degree angle and the seams will be along the edges where you can't see them." Take a look at these photos and see what you think:

photo G1.jpg

photo G2.jpg

He even showed me samples where he had done this with highly figured marble, and he just matched the cut pieces at the seam line so it looked like the pattern wrapped over the edge and down the sides as if it were a solid 4cm slab. If you can find a fabricator who has the skill to do this properly, it's amazing, and they can give you whatever perceived thickness you want without obvious seams.

o

Cool technique, thanks!

o

Ditto the above. My mom used 2 cm thassos marble and had it built up to 3cm in her guest bath as she needed only a small piece and the remnant she found was 2 cm. Looks great and cannot tell at all!

o

We used 2 cm White Macaubas without a built-up edge on the perimeter cabinets in our kitchen. I wanted something modern and liked the look in pictures of European kitchens. Our cabinet maker built our base cabinets with solid tops, rather than the usual separate sheet of plywood on top of the cabinets, since there is not a built-up edge to hide the plywood.

o

thanks, kaysd. our fabricator insists we do not need a plywood base. our builder has offered to put some wood in to support the marble. i'll see what they say when i bring it up again.

o

Good news--the supplier got it in 3 cm for us so no worries there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here