Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms222_gw

Bathroom Remodel Tile the Wall or just Paint? Pics inside

ms222
12 years ago

Okay I just moved into the new house and the master bathroom is a mess. I am having a contractor work on the bathroom but I have to pick all the materials and make the choices. In the pics below you will see where the box with the lights are above the mirror above the vanity, that is being knocked down, and also the box overhang above the shower will be knocked down to give the shower more height. I will also be replacing the nasty toilet.

I will be buying this vanity

http://www.tradewindsimports.com/59-sirius-double-glass-bathroom-vanity-espresso.html

and I will be lining the whole shower walls with this mosaic glass:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202194718/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=ice+mosaic+glass&storeId=10051

Anyone have suggestions on a border in the middle for the shower as well as suggestions for what to put on the floor of the shower?

I will be using 18x18 porcelain for the floors of the bathroom itself. something similar to this: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-202520251/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=porcelain&storeId=10051

Now my question is In the pictures below see how those small white tiles go along the side of the bathroom walls, what should I put there? I was thinking of putting the same porcelain tile from the bathroom floor up the walls, but the installer said he wont do a "marble like" install without a lot more money so it will be grouted". Would a better option be just to do nothing on those side walls since its not a huge bathroom to begin with, except paint it? On the wall where the existing vanity is and mirror, I am taking down that mirror, and plan to use small glass mosaic tiles to line that wall then add two mirrors. Anyone have suggestions on what color/color scheme for that wall where the mirror is to pop the bathroom but match with my shower mosaic tile?

Please help! Thank you guys soo much! Sorry for the large pics, photobucket sucks played with it for an hour and still couldnt get it resized down on here.

Comments (20)

• Debbie Laird
    12 years ago

The links to your products are not active on my device, however, is it possible that less is more? If you are not sure, don't do anything? I am a person who knows what I want, and need to live with it a while to determine if more is needed.

Not the response you wanted, but I am sure someone will be able to help and give you some guidance.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry my posting is all messed up, the links will work if you copy paste, sorry for the hassle, and i realize the pics are way too big and I apologize.

But basically to have a contemporary style, do I need anything on the side walls or would it be better left alone just painted, and have the shower glass, the floors tiled, and just the back wall of the vanity with mosaic tile glass with 2 mirrors and a vanity light over each mirror.

• Fori
    12 years ago

I think untiled walls is more contemporary. Just paint them, unless you have a pee-sprayer in the household.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

My vote is for just painting the walls. You probably will need someone to repair and skim coat them though after the tiles are removed because most likely the walls will get damaged during removal of the tiles.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have a contractor who is going to demo the whole room and start from scratch. I just have no vision whatsoever so its tough for me to figure out what I want.

My contractor said the 18x18 porcelain tile wouldnt work for the shower floors as its too hard to cut and fit them in there, never heard of that. Any suggestions of what might contrast nicely with that ice glass tile I want for the flooring? Also anyone have any ideas what I can use as a border in the shower that might go well with it? Thanks

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Anyone have a link or suggestion of what small square mosaic tile to put on the back wall where the vanity will be, that will match well or go nicely with the ice glass tiles I'm going to put in the shower? Thanks

• Debbie Laird
    12 years ago

The links to your products are not active on my device, however, is it possible that less is more? If you are not sure, don't do anything? I am a person who knows what I want, and need to live with it a while to determine if more is needed.

Not the response you wanted, but I am sure someone will be able to help and give you some guidance.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay more detail for you guys..I'm young and just learning about this stuff so be patient with me :)

I think I have decided on a grey porcelain for the bathroom floor, with the translucent looking glass tiles for the shower and the mixed mosaic blue glass for the wall behind the vanity. The small porcelain squares in the picture will be used for the shower floor.

Question #1: My contractor recommended getting strips of the porcelain to make a small baseboard to run along the bottom of the floor, is that even necessary?

Question #2: With those translucent glass tiles being used all around the shower, I would assume that a border around the shower is necessary to break up all of that translucent glass. Can anyone recommend what material and color border I should use just around the shower? I looked around forever at home depot but found nothing.

I am also attaching a picture of the vanity, faucet, glass vessel and mirrors I will be using.

Tell me if you guys see any problems with my color schemes etc, and any recommendations for wall paint for this color scheme? Thanks!!

• GreenDesigns
    12 years ago

That blue mosaic overpowers everything else and does not work at all well with the beige. If you like the blue better than the beige choices, then go with more white and grey tile for the rest. If you prefer the beige tones, then pick a different glass mosaic in something with earth tones.

You also need to be sure your contractor knows how to create a waterproof shower. That will probably mean replacing the window, unless it's already vinyl. If it's wood, it will need to be changed out to glass block, fiberglass, or vinyl. And waterproofing that area will be critical.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the response, I am not sure if my contractor knows how to waterproof. In the picture, disregard the beige porcelain to the right. To make things more clear, I will only be using the gray porcelain that the mosaic tile and the other glass subway tile is sitting on. That gray porcelain will be for the bathroom flooring and the small gray procelain squares will be for the shower floor. The rest of the shower will be the subway tile glass in the picture. Does the color scheme now work? I will have no beige in the bathroom. With the subway tile glass do I even need a border in the shower?

In terms of the flooring should I get a baseboard with it, or just tile and paint the walls? What is necessary for a waterproof shower? He will be using hardi board for all the drywall since he is going to demo the bathroom.

• User
    12 years ago

The tile that the clear glass and the blue glass is sitting on is gray to you? It sure looks taupe/beige to me. And I agree that the undertones do not work at all with the clear glass or or the blue. White or a clearer gray with no brown/pink tones would work better.

As far as the waterproofing goes, well, the shower pan needs to have a mud preslope, then the waterproofing membrane on top of the preslope, then more mud, then the thinset and tiles. For the walls, you need a vapor barrier like poly sheeting or tar paper draping down over the waterproof membrane of the pan, then the backer board, then the thinset and tile. Or you can do the backer board and do a topical waterproofing membrane like Redguard, or Hydroban and then tile.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I will re-evaluate the tile selection as I absolutely do like the glass colors, so maybe a white tile is a better solution? Here's another option for the vanity wall backsplash

• tina_ma
    12 years ago

Hi, I think the first thing to decide is how you want to feel when you walk into your bathroom every morning. Calm and spa-like, or more energized? High contrast colors, like the bright blue mosaic, will create a more energetic environment, while the more muted tones of the last picture will give you a calmer vibe. I like the most recent mosaic you chose, especially with the translucent glass subway. Could you post a picture of that combo? (Make sure your tile guy uses white thinset so as not to lose that translucency). Paint the walls, but I would definitely do a baseboard. Oh, and somewhere there's a thread about using glass vessel sinks - read through that, but only if you haven't already bought that vanity! It's hard to make all these decisions!

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts, I do think I will go with the second backsplash above the vanity. I did not order it yet but was about to pull the trigger, now maybe I'll rethink if glass vessels are an issue. Thanks for the information about the white thinset. Now I'm stuck with the flooring, I've never seen a good looking white porcelain that doesnt look to plain and boring, and i'm not going to do marble due to the price. Hmmm...

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The more I look at it the more I don't understand why the vanity backsplash I want (the 2nd pic in this post), paired up with the subway tile glass (in the 1st pic) for the shower doesn't work with a beige porcelain which is the tile all the way to the right in this pic:

I looked up some bathrooms and have seen plenty with beige porcelains and blue on the wall...not sure why they don't work??

• tina_ma
    12 years ago

Based on the colors that my monitor is showing, that last picture you posted looks fine to me. In an earlier post, though, you stated that you would have no beige in your bathroom, so I thought that was a personal preference. As for marble flooring, I found some very reasonable prices both at tileshop.com (there are brick and mortars in many parts of the country, though not mine!) and at dekotile.com. Well under $20/sf; both will ship samples, too. Having said that, I think your larger format floor tile, combined with a medium size subway and a tiny mosaic is a nice mix of sizes. Do you know what grout size that large tile calls for? Just something to think about - I find that often, natural stone tends to have much smaller grout lines. Oh, and I think your glass subway will speak for itself without the added distraction of a border. If you feel compelled to do a border or accent stripe, you could use the same little squares that you're going to have behind the vanities to tie it all together. Have you chosen a metal finish?

• User
    12 years ago

The bright clearn vibrant blue and white of the glass tile doesn't go with the browned, down, muted tones of the gray/tan tile. If the blue was muted and shaded with gray, and the white/clear was muddier and grayer, then it could work. I've seen those blue tiles in person, and they are ELECTRIC BLUE and are not muted in any way. Same with the white/clear. They don't play well with muddy. They need clear, equally bright colors to work well--grey or brown. Tans are too problematic to get the undertones right and a lot of time end up looking pink or yellow with blue.

Glass Expressions Lunar Grey

Stock Tile shot

Daltile Fabrique 12x24 in Noir Linen (Floor tile)

Daltile 12x12 Desert Gray Porcelain @ Home Depot

American Olean Infusion Gray @ Lowes

Daltile Colorbody Porcelain Cashmere Gray @ Home Depot

American Olean Gray Speckle 2x2 Porcelain @ FastFloors (perfect for the shower floor)

Gotta hit the grocery store this morning before the hordes descent in search of Easter asparagus. I'll show you brown tiles that will will work with the blue and white glass when I get back if you like. I still think that real grey will work better with the blue though.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

In the master bedroom, I have beige marble saturnia. I understand what you are saying, but I really don't think a clear/blueish translucent glass in the shower, and then the 2nd backsplash I linked for the wall behind the vanity (not the electric blue one) wouldn't work with the beige porcelain. I mean the beige color is a neutral color, I will then have expresso as the vanity color, similar glass to the subway tile glass on the vanity top and the vessel bowls, so not sure why the beige porcleain wouldnt work? It would blend well with the master bedroom floor and I would imagine it would just provide a neutral color. I think if I go with a pure gray it will be too dark and dreary.

I just hope whatever floor I pick that the contractor does it with 1/8" grout lines with a grout color that matches very well. I hope the contractor doesnt give me a hard time about the 1/8" grout lines and a hard time when I ask for it to be a diagonal layout. I am going to do 18"x18".

To Tina, I agree, I dont think a border will be necessary in the shower, I just didnt know if it was "too much" glass all in one area and needed to be broken up. But I looked online and many subway glass showers have no border.

In terms of metal finish, you mean like on the vanity and shower? Well the vanity doesnt give me any other option but chrome, and I was going to get this shower panel: Shower panel

• tina_ma
    12 years ago

The stainless shower panel should be fine with the chrome vanity fixture. If you know the make/model of the 18" porcelain tile, you should be able to look up the recommended grout lines. Remember, too; your contractor is working for you; he should do what you wish him to do. (I am having to remind myself of that too!) 18" diagonal is certainly within the bounds of reasonable; the grout specs might or might not be. I think that most often, porcelain can use a 1/8", but I would defer to the tile experts here for the nitty-gritty whys and wherefores.

• ms222
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I switched up everything, haven't ordered the vanity yet.

Here's the plan, 6"x24" chalk white porcelain tiles (i absolutely love the look) for bathroom floors, 3"x12" of the same for the baseboards, the shower will be 3"x6" subway tiles in the picture it is will be the same color as that small rectangular strip of the light blue next to the darker blue on that board, the shower floor will be 1.5" mosaic of the chalky white porcelain, and lastly that square cube will be the pattern on the back wall above the vanity, it consists of marble, glass, and stainless steel, its very price but worth it. Thoughts guys? I think its much better than the items i originally chose from home depot.