Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower Door Help - Side panel or no? Bar or Pull?

Posted by KKPerry (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 8:42

Hello -
I've been spending more time on the kitchen forum during my whole house remodeling, but the bathroom questions are coming up. I've read through the many posting about frame-less shower doors but couldn't find help for these specific issues (lots of help on other questions though - thanks!#

GLASS
We have a 4x6 walk in shower in the Master Bathroom, and will be having a hinged door. Due to the chairrail my husband requested #so we could vary the tile pattern to avoid "boring" beige tile) we now have a challenge with the door swing.
Option A - Fixed panel with hinged door to tile - requires notching the chair rail and will not swing open as fully/stay open.
Option B - Fixed panel and the hinged door attached to a 6" side panel.

We'd prefer not to notch the tile (makes the wall tile pattern awkward outside the glass) but are concerned about the sturdiness of the side panel.

HARDWARE
Any thoughts about having a double towel bar as the "pull". All the pictures seem to show a pull and I can appreciate not wanting to "disrupt" the clear view provided by the glass but functionality kicks in at some point - we have no close point to have full shower bars. Just wondering if someone put in towel bars and regrets the look - hard to find pictures.

THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Door Help - Side panel or no? Bar or Pull?

We did a shower that had a trim piece that stuck out beyond the tile profile (like a chair rail would), so I just stopped the trim short of where the door would attach and used normal tile in that section. If your wall continued on, you could start it up again after the door.
Photobucket

Photobucket

o

If you have a towel bar, it will hit the wall if the door is hinged on the wall. You'll have to do a handle in that case.

o

KKperry, what did you decide to do? How does it look? I have a similar issue with my chair rail and my glass shower door. Maybe I ought to consult the glass company before the tile is finished to see what they think.

o

I used what is called a combo. On the outside it is a towel bar. on the inside it is a pull.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here