Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cancoi_gw

Daltile Continental Slate in shower

cancoi
14 years ago

Greetings! We are rehabbing an old house and (as always) trying to watch the budget). Our current house has Daltile's Continental Slate in Brazilian Green on the floor and we've been very happy (I will have to post a picture once I figure it out)

The new house will have a tiled shower and I'm wondering if anyone has tiled a shower with this, not just the floor but the walls, too. Is it too heavy-appearing? Too dark? We're consider the Brazilian Green or English Grey; I have some of the lighter stone but they appear somewhat dirty, which might drive me crazy.

Comments (7)

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

OOhh, you should see Mongo's bathroom, I believe he cut up that particular tile in 2 colors to use all over, and it looks awesome. Hopefully he will pop through and see the post!!

• cancoi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is there a particular post?

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

Older posts got lost, and that's where all his photos were from the last I can remember. He usually shows up, so if your question gets lost, just bump it up, or you can try to shoot him a mail (mongoct) from his page if you don't hear from him!

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Disappointment Alert:

Nope, I used Asian Black on the shower floor, the ceiling, and as a mid-height deco band running through the shower. But the wall tiles are a lighter ivory color, not DAL Continental Slate.

Dark tiles in a shower are fine, they can look very dramatic if properly illuminated, or it can look like a dark cave if not well lit. You already know that dark tiles don't reflect light as well as lighter colors. So just plan on having the option of adding more wattage in the shower. Think of adding more than one light with smaller wattage per light instead of the typical single light with a max wattage bulb.

My shower is about 5' by 8', I have 4 can lights in the ceiling. I started with incandescent bulbs and now have low-wattage compact florescent bulbs. No shadows, easy and even lighting. If my shower was too dark I could up the wattage in each can.

Can lights are pretty inexpensive, roughly $8 to $10 each, Gasketed shower trim kits are maybe another $30 to $40 per can. Can lights have a max wattage restriction so you don't thermally overload the housing.

I do remember igloochic having the darkest shower I can recall, I think hers was crocodile-textured black tile. Very dramatic looking. I searched for photos but didn't see any of the shower, just one photo of her soaking tub deck.

Well, I was just about to hit "post" and then thought I'd do a google image search instead of a gardenweb search. Bingo, here you go:

{{gwi:1418874}}

• cancoi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a dark shower! I was thinking of the Brazilian Green, random mosaic on floor, 12x18 field tiles for walls with one of the borders (maybe the one with the goldleaf tiles) mid-wall. Uncertain if we'd go chest high with walls and glass upward or not. I'll try to post a schematic, but our printer and scanner are both down. Pricing affects this, too; we'll see how well our tile and shower glass pricing come out.

Good to know about lighting; may need 2 cans in a 3ft x 5ft shower.

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

My bad....

I do think I recall some discussion quite a ways back about someone using Dal's Cont Slate on the walls, though... mongo maybe you were part of that discussion and that's what is tweaking that memory :-( or it could just be age.

I think the one concern raised was that it had a rough texture that may be unpleasant on the walls of a shower.

We have it on the master bath floor, and really love it too; and the price couldn't be beat.

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Oh pepperidge, absolutely no worries. I have used it on other shower walls, so I've talked about it a lot. But my shower just has a bit on the walls. A sort of "baseboard" band at the floor, a deco band midway, and a sort of "crown" strip up by the ceiling. Then the shower floor and ceiling are Continental Slate, plus a raised drying off platform outside the shower.

I'm not particularly crazy over the "baseboard" and "crown" strips, but those were details that Mrs. Mongo asked for, so I complied. I have to say I think the tile is great, and I like the texture. It's just enough to see and feel, but not so much to be a cleaning concern.