Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Linen cabinet or counter top cabinet

Posted by winnipausaukeefan (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 8:12

I'm getting ready to renovate our masterbath and am trying to decide on the vanity area, which is in a separate room from the toilet and shower. I have 75" of wall space with a small window at the left end so I will only have a single sink near the middle of the wall, with drawers to the left under the window. With that, I have room for a 15" or 18" linen cabinet at the right end. This would be really useful since we currently have no space for linen storage in our masterbath.

I'm concerned that a 15" cabinet would be a little to narrow to be usefull (especially if I put any rollouts in it), but that the 18" might look too large for the space. Or maybe a counter top cabinet would look better but would it be to shallow for good storage? We will have a medicine chest over the sink for shallow storage.

Hoping to get some opinions here. If you have any of these options, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Linen cabinet or counter top cabinet

We have very similar dimensions for our vanity in our main bath. I think I am going to go with an 18" wide tower, which should leave room for at least a 54" long vanity, which is a good size with a single sink. I would determine what you plan to store in the tower and mock up and measure if they will fit. Are you planning to have drawers or roll-outs? That will take up more space too. I have an 18" pantry in my kitchen next to a 44" beverage counter, it doesn't look too large. I think you will be much happier with the extra 3" in your tower than on the counter.

o

I would do the tall 18" linen cabinet. I don't think it will look too big or out of proportion.

o

Thanks for the replies. I think I am going to go with the 18", especially when I think about having 3 extra inches of tower storage vs 3 inch of counter top!

o

Can you make your linen closet less deep than your vanity? Then the linen closet will set back a little and not look so bulky. You can find photos on Houzz.com.

o

Thanks, I'll take a look at houz. I didn't think about making it a little less deep.

o

My linen cabinet now is full vanity depth and frankly, it is a pain. Towels and sheets almost fit two deep, but you have to smoosh them in to make it fit -- then the ones in the back get lost. It would be even worse for bottles and such. You could put those things in rollouts, but only to a certain height, so I'd probably make the top less deep. I tested our 15x15 uppers in our breakfast room hutch and they were large enough for towels and sheets. I haven't don it yet, but am thinking we will do that in our master bath.

o

we had a large linen cabinet installed into our master br and i love it!! it is ~ 21" deep including the doors and i love the depth. it is deep enough to hold folded blankets completely and in one of the lower 'doored' cabinets, i removed the shelf and use it to hold a hamper.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here