Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
affrunti43

DIY master bath

affrunti43
11 years ago

First, I would like to say that this forum provided us with so much information so thank you all!

Link to DIY master bath pictures and sources.

http://goldenboysandme.blogspot.com/2013/04/master-bathroom-with-pedestal-tub-white.html

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY Master Bath

Comments (25)

• BobBeeDyLee
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Beautiful! You must be so pleased!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Beautiful, It is so open and bright. I love it. You must be so proud. I did a partial DYI, and that was challenging enough; but the whole works? is very impressive!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

You did a wonderful job. I envy people with so much DIY ability.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

So beautiful!!!!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

So beautiful!!!!

• raehelen
    11 years ago

Wow! Can't believe you did that for $7K! It's really beautiful!

Is that the Atlantis 10mm shower door from Costco? We have bought the same one, and boy was that heavy lifting it up the stairs! Did you get a custom end piece made, or is the whole unit from Costco? We wanted our shower wider, so we aren't using the base, but having one custom made which is twice the cost of the glass shower unit! Guess that's one of the reasons our smaller DIY bath is going to be well over $7K :>( We haven't installed ours yet, do you have any tips for us before we attempt DIY?

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous. And at such a price! You must have shopped as well as you DIY.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Perfectly elegant and tranquil! You have excellent taste to go along with your mad DIY skills. Enjoy your beautiful sanctuary.

• affrunti43
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for your kind comments. This is the third house that my husband and I have renovated so our DIY skills have built up over time, but this project was certainly not without its challenges. I credit this forum for many of the ideas we used (in particular, the tall shower niche and decision of whether to use carrera in our house).

raehelen, we used the Costco New Waves Kelsey shower unit. It came with the base and all the glass pictured. It was VERY VERY heavy to get upstairs. Putting it in was pretty straightforward, no problems with that. Now we just need to keep it clean. This is our first experience with so much shower glass to maintain.

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco Kelsey shower

• sparklebread
    11 years ago

Love It!

• Debbi Branka
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Love everything about it!

• jrueter
    11 years ago

Wonderful job! Added to my inspiration board. Thank you so much for including the details on sources and experience with the products in your link. You also did a fabulous job with the accessories (I love the sailboat especially)

• raehelen
    11 years ago

Courtney, Ours is the Canadian version of the New Waves Orlando. Not sure why it's called something different here, but it's for a 60" shower and 10mm thick. I am telling you, as I told my husband, this is the absolute limit of what I can carry, and I NEVER want to do that again! The glass panels are resting in my sewing room right now, not looking forward to carrying them to the BR, but at least there won't be any more stairs!

Looks like you had a lot of fun decorating! That reminds me I think I will have to try and come up with some way to incorporate a shelf or two for just that purpose!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Courtney. Stunning! I can't believe you put together such a fabulous bathroom from Home Depot, Lowes, Costco and online sources AND on that budget! It is truly beautiful and one of my favorites. Love the color of the walls, the detail on the mirrors and the floor really caught my eye; I like the scale of the floor tiles.

Please tell me about that shower door. I've never seen anything like it. It slides? Did you choose it for the look or function? No problem with water leaking out? What is the shower floor made of? Did Costco have it in the store or online?

Thanks for sharing. I'll be following your blog now!

• motherof3inct
    11 years ago

Your bathroom is beautiful. I am impressed with your DIY skills and even more impressed with your budget! Everything complements each other nicely. I especially love the Lowes mirror and Home Depot sconces. After reading your blog, I quickly went over to the Home Depot website to track them down.

Does the 3 sconces provide enough light? Or do you also have overhead? I am planning 3 sconces plus 3 recessed lights overhead and was wondering if 60w would be enough. In addition, do you mind measuring how many inches are the sconces away from the edge of the mirrors. The symmetry is perfect. I am not sure if I have enough wall space to have sconces or need overhead fixtures. I much prefer sconces!

Job well done....and nice blog.

• affrunti43
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Island, thanks, the shower doors slide like the barn doors that are so popular in home design right now. It slides on the rollers on top. Base is acrylic. I will include a link to it on Costco.com. It is only online so I was nervous to order it sight unseen, but knowing Costco has a great return policy, we took a chance and ordered knowing we might end up returning it to the local store if we didn't like it. Good thing we didn't want to return it because it was so heavy! It was very well packaged and we had no problems with delivery. We have had no trouble with leaking. My husband was meticulous about calking and waterproofing in general of the whole shower. The shower unit was a budget choice. I love the look of glass showers but getting custom glass was not in our budget. I am very happy with our choice. Thanks for reading my blog :)

mother of 3, the sconces are 3 3/8" from the mirrors. Thanks for noticing the symmetry, we measured many times! I am very happy with both the sconces and mirrors. I saw very similar mirrors on someone else's blog from Pottery Barn but they were no longer available (and more $$). We ended up getting these from our local Lowes and were very excited about that find. I think they provide enough light with 60 w bulbs. We have no recessed lights but the chandelier is overhead. I do not find myself turning on the chandelier for more light, the sconces are adequate for applying makeup, etc. When we researched bathroom lighting, we learned that sconces provide more flattering light than overheads. Hope that helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Costco shower

• kam76
    11 years ago

Gorgeous gorgeous! I am so impressed what a beautiful space! How are you liking your carrera top so far? I am debating on that as well but was worried about bathroom products etching....I can deal with some etching....

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Amazing! I love those mirrors and considered them for our bathroom. It is unbelievable to me that you all DIYed the bath, especially with three kids! Bravo to you. Enjoy your beautiful, tranquil space.

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Can I ask where you found the white window valance?

This post was edited by pipdog on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 2:56

• affrunti43
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kam76-I am liking the carrera so far. I am definitely babying it though. I cover my area of the countertop with a towel to protect it from the products I use to get ready. No etching as of yet but it has only been a couple of weeks.

pipdog-thank you! I need to escape from the 3 kids and this bathroom is the perfect place! The valance is ordered online from Country Curtains. I wanted to keep the room as bright as possible since it only has the one window.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to curtain

• sofla
    11 years ago

stunning!

• wannasave6
    8 years ago

Love your bathroom! Can you provide the source for your vanity faucets? They are lovely!

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Absolutely beautiful

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus