Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faux Marble Bathroom Tiles

Posted by BirchPoint (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 6, 14 at 7:50

I am building in an area with limited shopping resources. I have access to high end designers and the big box stores. Yesterday I saw at Lowes an American Olean Mooreland Carrara Wall Tile that seemed to blend well with the real marble accent tiles they stock. I plan on having real carrara countertops, grey floor tile, a faux marble in the shower, and white cabinetry. Any opinions or feedback on this tile at Lowes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faux Marble Bathroom Tiles

Looks like a really good match to me! I haven't seen it in person or used it, so can't comment on that, but definitely prefer faux marble in wet areas for two reasons: price and ease of upkeep.

o

That looks much nicer than the photo on Lowes' site. It's not available in our area, so it may be in limited distribution, which would explain why you're not getting much response here. But it looks great, and AO is certainly a reputable tile company, not like the "style selections" junk that Lowes also sells.

o

Everything looks great in the photo. However, I thought the conventional wisdom was not to use faux marble in the same area as real, particularly in the shower where you would have the large faux tiles adjacent to the trim.

o

Looks good in this pic,

I'll pass on a piece of advice I found here on these forums. See if you can get several sample pieces of the tile. (You may have to buy them, but Lowes will take them back). I did this with my first choice for a porcelain limestone lookalike. Thanks heavens that I did. Each tile was EXACTLY the same, not what you want when you are looking for a stone replica. I ended up buying a more expensive tile (which is much nicer in every way), and in 88 12 X 24 tiles, I only found 4 or 5 repeats, which were easily used by flipping the tiles, so as far as anyone can tell, each tile in my BR is unique, just like it would be with real stone.

With marble, you would like as many different tiles as possible. I think the number to look for is the V, V4 means highly variable, which I think is what you want.

Linelle, it's good to be conscious about having faux next to real, in my case, I have real limestone mosaic in the back of the shower niche, right next to my porcelain. I think because my porcelain is such a good quality 'fake', that no one would think twice about it, but especially since it's in my Master BR, no one but me will see it anyways.

I think this works, 2 reals, 1 fake:
Shower Niche Feb 18 photo showernicheF18_zpsb818d18a.jpg

o

raehelen, excellent advice about getting more sample tiles and looking at the V factor. I think your juxtapositioning of real and fake passes the test! The mosaics are so different from your field tile that it's hard to compare them anyway.

There's also something to be said for a private space. As I agonize and dither over hall bathroom floor tile choices, I have to keep putting things in perspective: It's not a place people hang out for extended periods of time (unless you happen to be very unfortunate). It's a bathroom floor.

o

I am a non-conformist in the "real next to faux" group. Our counters and tub deck are honed marble, faux marble porcelain on the floor, and polished marble/onyx basket weave in the shower. I think it depends on the quality of the finish on both. Ours "fooled" an interior designer who typically works in high-end homes in the greater Chicago area.

o

Excellent advise. I too mixed my porcelain faux marble with real marble in my shower. The shelf was a wasted piece from the miss cut of my counter so the installers just gave it to me. I cut one end off with my trusty tile saw and set it into the niche as a shelf. I was going to use black marble shower curb cut to size but, I went with this. It is not perfect but I'm tired of perfect.
 photo photo2_zps7259adba.jpg

photo photo1_zpsfdb7bf69.jpg

photo photo3-1_zpscfc98533.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here