Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Olychick, and others that have vanity appliance garages

enduring
10 years ago

I would like to ask about your appliance garage layout and how you did it. What would you definitely keep and what would be re-worked with the setup if you could make changes? I'm looking for tips for the layout and any functional issues with this concept.

Comments (7)

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I'm pretty happy with mine. I didn't want a bifold door on it because I wanted full access to the width, but I could not convince my cabinet maker to put in a liftable door (not sure what it's called). He was sure that it wouldn't lift up high enough to not have it be a head banger when open. The bifolds are ok, but sometimes I wish the door wasn't there.

At some point, I changed the design so that there was counter in front of it and I'm very happy I did that. It makes the whole vanity usable, so I can set something there if needed and gives me a place to pull things out onto the counter to use or see them better. I mostly use it for a jewelry cleaner, which keeps my retainers clean and my Sonicare and Mentadent dispenser. I don't really use a hair dryer too often, but it's plugged in and ready to go. Oh, I also put in double outlets, just so I'd have enough. Hope this helps.

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Olychick. How deep is your vanity and your tower above that has your garage?

My plans are to make am 18" vanity with a 12 or 13" tower on top with the garage on the lower part of the tower. Like yours, I think. Unless I get some new info that deters me from this plan.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

I originally planned to do a 15" w tower and had my cabinetmaker draw plans. He was also going to recess it into the wall 3 inches like a medicine cabinet, so consider that if you do use a tower. Then I mocked it up with boxes and tried to put my blow dryer through the "door". It felt tight and took more precision to get it in and out than I was willing to give.

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks May-flowers, my tower would probably be wider than 15" but only as deep as a typical upper cabinet. I can't recess into a wall because it will be against an exterior wall with the layout I am considering. I like your mock up idea, I will put my plan into action and see what I think.

• treasuretheday
    10 years ago

My upper cabinets have two doors and adjustable shelves. The lower sections have outlets for my hair appliances.

I really, really like being able to keep things out of sight but convenient.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Enduring, here are the dimensions. The vanity is 22.5" deep and 70" long, the tower is 15.5" deep and 23" wide. It goes all the way to the ceiling and the upper shelf holds one of those giant sized tp packages. Hope this helps.

• enduring
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Treasure thanks for showing the outlets, it really helps to visualize the setup. What color paint do you have on your walls? I've been considering doing a walnut cabinet in this room, or a cherry. Your warmish walls go so nicely with the colors in your room.

Edited to say that I saw (treasure) your paint color on the Bathroom reveal thread that Hoboken started.

Olychick, thanks for the dimensions. I am planning on a 23" upper as it stands now. My vanity will be total 60" with the tower on top of the right side. I was thinking of only going 18" deep to open the room up a bit, but I am having trouble finding a sink that will fit, and that I like. If I only had some remnant soapstone laying about :)

This post was edited by enduring on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 14:27