Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lannadelarosa_gw

Perfect bathroom vent fan - does it exist?

lannadelarosa
16 years ago

I've not had much luck finding my "perfect" bathroom vent fan. I'm looking for a combination workhorse because I have such a tiny little bathroom. I'm hoping someone can help me out with this.

Features I am looking for, in the order of importance:

1. Waterproof for install over shower ceiling (it's here or nowhere)

2. Humidity sensor (I always forget to turn my fan on or off, so this is a very important feature to me)

3. Heater (I hate the feeling of a drafty bathroom when I'm taking a hot shower, but I don't really have any other space for a heater)

4. Light (I have both a window in the shower and overhead lights elsewhere in the bathroom, so not so important, just a bonus)

5. Some styling. This is a vintage bath but I've yet to see a high functioning vent fan that looked vintage. So, something low-profile, flush or recessed into the ceiling.

6. Quiet is a plus, but this is not something that has ever really bothered me before

Comments (16)

• blueribbon
    15 years ago

The Panasonic fans are very nice, but the big box stores in my area don't carry them, either. Seems they prefer the cheaper brands like Broan. Shop around on the web, and you can find some good deals. I found my Whisperline fan for about 35% less than the R E Williams site mentioned above.

• kevin1727
    15 years ago

Another good site for Panasonic is Wamhomecenter. I shopped several sites and no one beat them. I am very happy with my purchases there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wam Home Center Fans

• arleneb
    15 years ago

Just wanted to add my .02 to Kevin's comment . . . I also bought a Whisperwarm from Wam. They were cheaper than anywhere else I found, and quick. I ordered Monday morning and it was here Wednesday noon (Florida to Tennessee). My local supplier said it would take two or more weeks to get it in, and the cost was $150 more.

Arlene

• makennedy
    15 years ago

Check out the solatube site for their light tube/light/vent/fan combination. We're planning to install one in a small bath to reduce ceiling clutter. I'm not sure about in a shower. Have not seen reviews of this all-in-one option, but we're early adopters by nature so cross my fingers.

• andrewmi
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info on the fans.
    The panasonic whisper quiet sounds like what i need.

I have a bathroom that is suggested for 70cfm extraction.
    I am thinking of getting a much higher rated extractor(190 or 290) and putting a variable speed control switch in (all from WAM)

Is this even possible ?
    Will the noise noticably decrease as the rotation decreases?

One of my main reasons is i would like to keep the noise down and heat in when little steam is produced ie bathing. but have much more extraction and noise when much more steam is produced ie showering.

Thanks for any advice

• fidoprincess
    15 years ago

I have whisper warm and we installed a timer switch for the fan portion so we dont have to remember to turn the fan off when we are leaving the bathroom. Works great. I was told it cant go inside the shower though so ours is right outside where you step out and the heater is great. I too bought one bigger than the space called for and have no regrets. I read that some complained that the heater didnt warm up enough and that made me get the larger size. The heater is great! Remember though that it takes a whole circuit breaker of its own-20 amp if I recall correctly so make sure you have enough space on your electric box.

• momfromthenorth
    15 years ago

Another vote for Panasonic WhisperLite or WhisperWarm and a timer switch. We need the timer switch because ours is so quiet we can't hear it if we are in another room. Purrs like a kitten.

• andrewmi
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info
    I am pretty sold on the Panasonics, specifically the series without heat or lamp as i just don't need them.

The only thing i dont know is if they can be controlled by a variable speed switch. WAM have them in their fan>accessories section, but they only specify the Broan dials for Broan models.

• golddust
    15 years ago

Thanks to this forum, we just installed our Whisper warm fan. It takes a couple minutes to warm up but it's going to be wonderful. We bought a separate fan/light combo for inside the shower that is a nutone. It is noisier but I won't hear it while showering.

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

Hope I like the one we just got!! Just ordered the 110 CFM Whisper Warm with heat & light. I shopped around FOREVER today looking for the best price, and WAM almost got it--they were at $234.22 (shipping included). But I found that even though faucet depot charged $8.95 for shipping, they had a coupon code going on now -- PANASONICFANS -- which gave you 10% off. So that made it $211 + $9 shipping. Hopefully, they're OK to deal with--keeping my fingers crossed!!!

:)
    Sarah from Albany, NY

-sarah

• andrewmi
    15 years ago

I just installed the Panasonic whisper quiet with the Braun speed control.
    It works really well and does accomplish the 2 things i set out to do:
    1) Adjust the volume of the fan
    2) Adjust how much air to extract

The only thing i am concerned about (any insight here would be most grateful) is when i lower the speed of the fan, i hear the motor whine/hum (?) a little.
    Does this sound bad to anyone more knowledgeable than me?

• john604
    14 years ago

you get the Bathroom Master (heat/fan/light combo), which can instantly warm up when you take a shower without pre-heating requirement, from the following distributors:
    http://www.rewci.com/baexhefaninh1.html
    http://www.aupu.us/PRODUCTS/BathMastr/BthMstr.htm
    http://www.bainsneptune.com/english/ventilateurs/v-csbm.html

• MongoCT
    14 years ago

Based on my experience with the links that John604 referenced, I wouldn't buy from any of them.

• PRO
    Masterworks Window Fashions & Design, LLC
    6 years ago

I found this discussion, and it was very helpful, as I was unsure about selecting a bathroom fan for my own home. Thank you!

• Olychick
    6 years ago

Search also in these forums for Fantech fans.