Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How much space should be open below a floating vanity?

Posted by kaysd (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 2:36

We will have a 6 foot vanity between 2 walls. I plan for the counter to be at 36" because we are tall and want to maximize storage. I had planned on a 2 cm (3/4") counter, 30" high cabinet (all drawers), with a toe kick area just over 5" tall. I am thinking about doing away with the toe kick to create a floating vanity, but is 5" between the bottom of the cabinet and the floor enough? I want the proportion to look right and to be able to get my steam mop under the cabinet, but I do not want to lose too much storage, so having 10" + open below the cabinet is not an option. If 5" is not enough, then what about 7" or 8"?

Modern classic modern bathroom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How much space should be open below a floating vanity?

If I'm building a cabinet for someone like you who wants the appearance of floating but with a traditional toe kick height, I'll simply make the toe kick deeper.

How deep can depend on the size of the room. But if for example it's recessed 10" to 12", it gives the appearance of a floating unit as it's recessed enough to not be seen with normal sight lines, and by not being a true floater (full depth but only 5" high) it's not dust-bunny haven under there.

A 7" or 8" toe kick on a true floater is fine.

Not sure of the overall look you're going after, but lighting under a floater can be a nice detail too. Either as accent lighting or as a night light.

o

Because there was no other storage on our bathroom, I had to maximize the size of the vanity. So we left 6". Also added lighting underneath it.
The more space you leave, the more the 'floating' effect.

In another bathroom we will not have a vanity at all. Just a slab of floating wood counter.

o

Mongoct, that's a good idea to just do a deeply recessed toekick to simplify cleaning if we stay with just 5" below the vanity. The room the vanity will be in is 6' x 6' (the shower and toilet area is separated by a pocket door). The look I am going for is clean and modern, but still tranquil and spa like. I will consider the under-cabinet lighting.

Pharoah, thank you for posting that picture of your gorgeous vanity. I love your wood grain. It is very helpful to see pictures and know the measurements. I am afraid I will not get the look I am going for with less than 6".

I can probably reduce my drawer section to 28" to get 7" below. I was originally planning on having 5" toekick drawers to store the scale, extra boxes of toothpaste and lens solution, etc., so I am really reducing my storage a bit to get a look if I go this way. Form vs. function is a constant battle. I am doing a wall hung toilet in the adjoining room, but that gives me both form and function as it will be easier to clean around and the in-wall tank frees up floor space in a not-large room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here