Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower Pan vs. Tile

Posted by GreenDog194 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 2:01

I dread having a shower with a floor made of tiles and grout lines. I bet it could be made waterproof with something I've heard called "kerdi." But that would not avoid a life time of going after grout. (Is there a bombproof grout out there?)

I think I like the idea of a shower pan.

Our house is a 50s house and we are going with a mix of clean / contemporary and staying as true to the Midcentury as we can in our remodel. We will add a new bathroom in the lower level that will have a shower and no bath.

I saw this shower pan and thought it looked great:
http://www.ukbathrooms.com/shop/showers/shower_trays_2/products/matki_new_continental_40_shower_tray.html

http://www.westonebathrooms.co.uk/showers/shower-trays/

Trouble is these seem to all be European models. Anyone see anything similar in the US?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower Pan vs. Tile

Yes, go to your local HD or Lowes.

We done it twice and would do it again. This one was a 48" pan and we added a seat in the space between the pan and the wall:

This one replaced a full size tub.

Oops, and yes it's the same tile in both showers. Different houses. I used it again for another house. I keep telling myself I need to pick something different but for some reason I am drawn to this tile - probably the price :)

o

I love what you've done with the pan - how are you finding the shower curtain vs. having a glass door? I want to do this with my shower and my husband thinks the curtain will blow all over the place.

o

HI ellejay,

The shower curtain works fine. I've had shower doors before and prefer a curtain.

Just get a good quality shower curtain, not a cheap flimsy one. We do not have any problems with water getting on the bathroom floor.

I was worried about the 48" shower because of the seat, but it worked out fine.

o

Don't see why you couldn't use one of those UK shower trays if they'll ship one overseas - you may need an metric-to-US pipe thread adapter for the drain, but otherwise should work fine.

o

@barbcollins--
What size shower pan/make of the shower pan is that one that replaced the full sized tub?

And, do you find that 2 people can shower in either of your setups?

o

@kirkhall - Yes we got it at Home Depot:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100655385/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=shower+pan&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202619404

Yes, two people could shower in either of those though the 48" one was a little tight.

o

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here