Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recs for a regular alcove tub?

Posted by GreenHighlighter (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 11, 13 at 1:48

Hi all - we have to buy a couple of regular alcove tubs. 60x32. One will be in the kids' bathroom. One will be in the basement bathroom. We just want something durable. low maintenance, and inexpensive.

Any recs?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recs for a regular alcove tub?

Kohler Villager, cast iron so will be heavier, but durable.

o

You can't beat cast iron for durability and low-maintenance. Heavier (make sure your floor joists can support the weight), and might cost more, but well worth it IMO.

FWIW, we have Toto 1525's. Love 'em.

o

I'm not sure our floor can support a cast iron tub. The kids bath is on the second floor of the house and the framing is all done.

We can put the cast iron in the basement bath, though.

Any recs for a second floor bath (where it's too late to reinforce)? Thanks!

o

Well I don't know if typical building needs re-enforcement for a cast iron tub. I had a cast iron tub for 70 or 80 years on 2x8 joist that were 21" on center. The typical joist spacing I believe is 16" on center. Check with your builder or contractor for what they think. It used to be that cast iron was all that was available in houses. All second floor, old old houses, had cast iron tubs.

o

Good idea, enduring. I'll ask our contractor today. We have a fair amount of support framing in the house b/c we're downslope on an earthquake fault !

o

Our contractor said a cast iron tub on the 2nd floor is no problem.

Thanks everyone! Two tubs down, one more to go :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here