Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reveal: small bath with large format "marblelain" tile

Posted by badgergal (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 1:31

In a recent post, GWer Hunzi coined the word "marblelain" as a name for porcelain tiles that look like marble. So thanks to Hunzi, this is the first marblelain reveal on GW.

The bathroom in this reveal is my daughter's main bath. Since she is a busy, working new mom, I pre-shopped for tile, countertop, plumbing fixtures, cabinets and lighting and then she and her DH choose from the selections I found.

The bathroom is 76" x 61" plus the 36x60 tub alcove area. The house was built in 1964 and the bathroom had been updated once by the previous owner. In that update the original tub was re-glazed from a pinkish brown color to white. The white glazing was wearing out and the tub looked like it has a case of measles. The tub was also very shallow (water depth about 8 inches) and my DD really wanted a tub that she could soak in. So wanting a new tub lead to a complete gut and rebuild of the bathroom. My DD also wanted a vanity linen cabinet because there was no linen closet in the house. Adding a linen cabinet, meant that she would lose 18 inches of already limited countertop space. She was able to reclaim about 9 inches of counter space by replacing the previous 21 in wide oval sink with a 12 inch round sink.

This is the only before picture that my DD had of the bathroom:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Being a young, modern couple my DD and her DH wanted a modern more contemporary look for their bathroom so they opted to use large format tiles. Since they didnt want any brown/gold tones they went decided on gray and white. They liked the look of marble but didn't want to deal with the maintenance of it so I searched local tile stores and GW for faux marble tile.

The tile that she used is Daltile's Florentine series in their Cararra color. The tile is available in several sizes with either a matte or shiny finish. They chose to use 24x24 for the floor and 12x24 for the tub surround with both sizes in matte.

Here are a couple pre grout pictures of the tile.

And a couple with the tile grouted:

The cabinets are Fieldstone. They have a tinted varnish finish. The color is called Pearl and it is a very light gray. They seem to be a very nice quality and were a good price point. She used an 18" linen tower and a 27" sink base. We were able to get by without using any filler and thus able to keep within the 30" code required for the toilet area.

Since her countertop area is so small we didn't want to pay for a whole slab of stone so we had to find a remnant that would work. The fabricator had lots of whites to choose from but they were the wrong shades of white or were too busy looking. Since the cabinets were such a light gray color the kids decided to go with a dark gray/black countertop. We were lucky to find a piece of Hanstone Black Coral that was the right size. They extended the counter over the toilet for a little extra space.

Here is a close up of the countertop and the 12" round Porcher Marquee sink with Kohler's Forte faucet. The sink really is big enough and deep enough for their needs.

They love the Kohler Archer tub and the multifunction Kohler Forte Shower head.

The mosaic they used is Florida Tile's Pietra Art Bliss Iceland. The vanity light is Tech Lighting's Metro Bath Bar. The mirror is the Colby from Crate and Barrel.

In addition to the vanity light, they have a solar tube and 2 recessed lights in the ceiling.

They still need to put some pictures or shelves on the walls but for now they are very pleased with their new bathroom. They had a fabulous contractor who was also the tile man. The project was completed in under 1 month.

To close this long post here are a couple close ups of the tile and mosaic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reveal: small bath with large format "marblelain" tile

What great teamwork! You guys did a great job, and I appreciate you sharing all the details and pictures here.

o

Nice transformation!

o

Wonderful. Thanks for the post and the details as jrueter comments. I think that counter configuration is called a banjo countertop. I bet they are so happy. You're a great mom :)

o

That looks great. I really like the Daltile. Most marbleain has such strong patterning, but I much prefer the subtlety of this.

o

Yay Marblelain!!!! Thanks for using my new word!!!

I love this tile! It looks amazing on the floor! It looks like one huge slab!

Definitely in the running for the 1920s 2nd Story Hall Bathroom! (If I survive the Starting From Dirt Basement Bathroom!).

Always ;-)
Hunzi

o

Hunzi, glad you didn't mind me using your new word. I think it's a great word.

I agree with you Writersblock, that many of the faux marble tiles do have strong patterning. My DD like the more understated look. We did have a sample from Florida Tile Gallant Carrara that was also more subtle. We preferred the sizes of the Daltile. I believe the Gallant does have more trim pieces like listello, and chair rail so if you need that kind of trim, check out Florida Tile.

You are correct Enduring, the extension over the toilet is called a banjo. It is only 8.5" deep but every inch counts in a small bathroom.

My DD and her DH are both very appreciative of the work I did so it makes it all worth it. Plus, I am so glad the my first grand baby has a nice tub to take baths in:

o

CUTE!

o

Great job!

I love all the pics and accompanying details.

Which Kohler tub was it? And how how are the sides? I am helping my sister, and she was worried about getting a tub too deep to bathe babies in. (I am trying to convince her to get something higher than her present 14" deep tub).

o

Raehelen, the tub they got is the Archer. Theirs is the 32x60 Alcove tub. I believe a 30 inch wide model is available now too. According to their website it has a "Comfort Depth® design offers a convenient 19-inch step-over height while retaining the same depth as a standard 21-inch bath."

My daughter says its actually easier to bathe the baby in this new tub because she can lean on the sides of the tub now, which she couldn't do with the extremely low tub she had before. She also says the higher sides contain the splashes better and her baby loves to splash.

My daughter also said because the back of the tub has a curved slant, it is comfortable for her to relax in. She likes loves increased water depth.

o

very nice! Really pops with that dark wall color. :-)

o

I love the way you installed the tile around the tub. And the way you matched the grey lines. What a great job you did.

o

I love the way you installed the tile around the tub. And the way you matched the grey lines. What a great job you did.

o

I love that tile. It's what is currently in our hall bathroom. However, we fell in love with a glass accent tile that means we're changing the color to Daltile's Crema Marfil. (white was just to harsh against the cream colored glass)

I do have a question about the toiletry shelves: What are they made of? I really like the clean line look.

o

Thanks skyangle23, pasture19 and MrsBarlow.
The wall color is not quite as dark as it looks in the pictures. The kids did not want the room to look too white. Even though the wall color is fairly dark, the solar tube makes the room very bright. Most days you don't even need to turn on the lights.

I do like the way the tile guy made sure the veins flowed from one tile to the next.

The toiletry shelves were made from the tiles. The tiler cut 2 corners for each shelf and then adhered them together with the thin set/mortar. He notched out the wall tiles so that he could securely attach the shelves.

o

Oh, I can't see your photos. What a great idea to use large format tiles - the practicality of that really appeals to me!

o

Feisty68, sorry my pictures disappeared. I guess I exceeded the my photobucket limits.
I agree with you that large tiles are practical. I think the space actually looks bigger with the large tiles, especially the floor. Larger tiles mean less grout lines to keep clean and that's a good thing.

Here are some of the missing photos:

o

Gorgeous! I've been eyeing up tiles like that for when I get around to doing my bathroom!

o

Looks great! Thanks for posting more photos. I have to agree with you that the large tiles do seem to expand the space!

It's funny how you hear so many rules about this. One tile "expert" in a store *insisted* that I should have small tiles in my tiny bathroom. But he didn't convince me, or look like the kind of guy who would scrub the grout either!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here