Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucycakes

Introducing the New Bath - Pics

lucycakes
16 years ago

Thanks to all of you on the Forum who have generously shared your expertise, ideas and pics.

Here's the old bath:

Here's the new:

Comments (35)

• janet400
    16 years ago

Wow! That is absolutely gorgeous. I'm so jealous that it is done and we are just starting. How long did it take you from conception to finish?

• kgwlisa
    16 years ago

It's beautiful! I especially love the seat under the window.

• kulagal
    16 years ago

Absolutely beautiful and well thought out! I love everything about it. I would LOVE to have details re cabs, countertop and floor, in particular. Thanks for sharing!

• lagrant
    16 years ago

Outstanding! You *know* you can't post a bathroom like that and not give us the details!! Beautiful!

• ladycfp
    16 years ago

Can I just say- WOW! Doesn't it make you want to live in there?

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses. Ya never know if it is all going to work together. We do like it, and yes, we want to live in it. This week, we would find ourselves having a glass of wine after work while standing around in the bath or sitting on the shower seat.

The vanity top, shower seat, thresholds and pony wall top and sides are tunis green granite. The cabinets are Columbia in maple with saddle brown stain. The shower floor is 2" quartzite while the accent on the shower walls and vanity is quartzite mosaic. The floor, my favorite part, is 18" cafe au lait travertine with Suntouch heating underneath. All water fixtures are Grohe except the rainhead which is Brasstech.

We demoed on Jan. 1 so it has been a fairly slow process. It's all worth the stress and frusration in the end though. I actually look forward to getting out of bed in the morning.

Thanks again.

• annkathryn
    16 years ago

Sooo pretty! I love the little black accent strip, and the travertine is gorgeous. You'll enjoy this for many years, I'm sure.

• ladycfp
    16 years ago

Where did you get your bath mat? I am always on the hunt for unique bath mats- I'm just not into the standard furry on the front and rubber on the back kind.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Wow what a change! It's gorgeous!

• kelleg69
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting pix. It really helps to see pictures to see how things really "work" in real life when I am trying to make decisions. Thank you.

• nancy_east
    16 years ago

Lucycakes,

Your bathroom is just stunning! We are using a rainforest green marble for our master bathroom's vanity and your tile is just what I'm looking for. I know you provided some information already about it, but do you know the manufacturer of the tile, by any chance? I love, love, love everything about it and am now on a mission to find it!

Thanks!

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

kelleg - I know what you mean about pictures helping. Pics from AnnKathryn, Callaloo, Linda-z and others helped me alot. I need to visualize things.

Ladycfp - The rug is from Restoration Hardware. The stripe is Silver Sage, same paint as on the walls. We like the rug.

Nancy east - I'm thinking you're asking about the travertine floor tiles. I'm sorry I don't have more info on those. The local natural stone tile place we bought them from carries them in stock so I don't know where they are from. I think they would look awesome with Rainforest marble which I love. The brown shower tiles are porcelain from Ceramiche Canpogalliano, an Italian company, in Sandstone Beige.

Good luck!

• lesliecline
    16 years ago

One of the most beautiful baths I have ever seen !
    Are you an interior designer or what ?
    Your design is so well executed that it rivals most the HGTV bath remodels I have seen on TV or their website.
    Congratulations !

• epascrapper
    16 years ago

Beautiful bathroom! The size of your shower is unbelievable!

How long is your vanity? I like the raised part in the middle. I'm wondering if it would work in my bathroom.

• clax66
    16 years ago

Your vanity area is stunning! Beautiful job!

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You are all so kind! Thanks for your responses.

The shower is big although it is a little smaller than before. We built the pony walls and moved them in about four inches to gain floor space in the bath plus have room for towel hooks. We have room for that size of shower because, alas, there is no tub in this bathroom. This works out good for us as we much prefer showers and need to get ready for work at the same time.

The vanity is 100 inches long. We considered putting in a tower in the middle section, but had the idea of raising the middle to add interest and leave some towel cubbies at the bottom. That way, we leave the countertop area clear. The second drawer has an outlet in the back so the hair dryer stays plugged in and we can just pop out the dryer in the morning.

Good luck to all who are in the middle of remodels. Life gets good again when the dust goes away and you can actually use the new bath.

• marisany
    16 years ago

Very beautiful, lucycakes, and very efficient! Would you mind posting where you bought your shower door? I'm in the ordering stage for a gut renovation.

• kitchenstumpt2
    16 years ago

My Goodness, this is absolutely beautiful!!!!!

Did I say beautiful? Well, it bears repeating. I am a "shower person" and that gigantic shower just talks to me, lol! This looks just like something the Romans would have had. Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy!

• hamster
    15 years ago

love it! Your colors look alot like mine (which encourages me). Wishing I had your huge shower!
    Enjoy it much!
    Diane

• busdriver12
    15 years ago

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Is there such a thing as shower envy? I love yours!

• yadax3
    15 years ago

Really gorgeous!

• jbradshaw
    15 years ago

love the shower tile work and different direction abv accent strip. all in all it's beautiful

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, you guys are really too kind! Thanks so much for your responses.

After using the bath for two weeks here's an update:
    We were worried about using the quartzite 2" squares in the shower floor, the tile guy thought they might cause puddling, but the slope seems to do its job and the floor dries easily.
    Our favorite things: the heated floor, small grout lines, three shower niches, efficient cabinet space, granite on the counter and nice cabinets in the adjoining closet.
    A couple of things to work on: one of the places where four of the floor travertine tiles meet is slightly raised so that you feel it with bare feet, the two Grohe shower heads are not quite as powerful as we would like, they are adequate but not great. However, the Brasstech rainhead is way more powerful than we expected - one of my DH's favorite things.

• ladyamity
    15 years ago

One word:

WOW!

Sophisticated, understated elegance!
    *wipes drool from chin*

• house_vixen
    15 years ago

Lucycakes --

Saw one of your photos on another thread and had to go looking for more. Lovely mix of materials IMO -- very Goldilocksian "just right" -- and yeah, I'd be tempted to live in there too!

Glad to hear you all are making the most of it; enjoy!

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for your nice comments house vixen!

• cangelmd
    15 years ago

Love, love your bathroom, we may flagrantly copy your bathroom.
    I have a couple of questions for you now that you have lived with your bath for awhile.
    How are the floors and shower tiles holding up, re stains on the travertine and mildew for the grout? We live in a very humid area and I am quite concerned about mold resistance.
    What brand are your sinks, they seem very deep?
    Are your cabinets taller than normal for a bath vanity, ie kitchen cabinet height? You say they are Columbia in maple, excuse my ignorance is that a company or a style???

thanks you so much for your patience, your color scheme is perfect.

• sundownr
    15 years ago

Such a wonderful bathroom! I'm glad this thread was topped. I really liked how you used the granite. Great colors, too.

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the nice comments! I have to say that we have enjoyed the new bath way more than we expected.

Canglemd - So far, all of the tile has held up well. The travertine floor has been a breeze and shows no signs of stains or other problems. We did put down one coat of Miracle Enhance & Seal and then another coat of Miracle Impregnator sealer.

In our old shower, we had mold issues in the grout probably due to a bad slope of the floor and clogged weep holes. This shower has no mold problems thus far. We sealed the grout with Miracle sealer as well. We do have one small tile on the shower floor that seems to gather a small amount of mineral deposits because that one tile is slightly lower than the rest and water stands on it.

The sinks are Kohler - Archer undermounts. Very nice sinks, a good size and interesting to look at.

Columbia is a brand of cabinets. I don't see them discussed much here but they are great. We used them in our kitchen remodel as well. The cabinets in the sink areas are kitchen height. The middle section is three inches taller. Columbia was able to accommodate that design without much problem.

Good luck with your bath. It's all worth it when its done and you can enjoy it!

• cangelmd
    15 years ago

Thanks, Lucy, enjoy your bath!

• yoyoma
    15 years ago

Very, very nice, where did you get those mirrors?

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks yoyoma! The mirrors are from Columbia, the cabinet makers. We were going to get something different, but the size and colors weren't working out, so we went with these.

Good luck!

• jcla
    15 years ago

Do you have the link to Columbia's website? I googled it, and found at least three different Columbia cabinet companies. Thanks.

• lucycakes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi jcla-

Here's the link:
    http://www.columbiacabinets.com/index.php?page_id=63

Columbia is a Canadian company. For reference, our door style is FP 330 in maple with saddle brown finish.
    This is one of their less expensive doors.

Good luck!