Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturalmom

Metal shower walls?

naturalmom
11 years ago

An idea just popped into my head. It may be so crazy it just might work, or it may be ridiculous. Given that boats are sometimes made of metal, could shower walls be made of metal?
I was thinking that it would be cool and Howard Hughes-like to have the three shower walls made from one piece of metal that was bent to fit the space. Fake or real rivets would REALLY jazz it up.
Aluminum?
Steel?
Am I the only person to have thought of this? Is it crazy?
If it were steel, it would be doubly Howard Hughes-like, because not only would it be like an airplane, but also inhospitable to germs! I don't know what could be done for the floor.
What are showers in Coast Guard or Navy ships like? Is that a pre-fab insert one could buy?

Comments (5)

• enduring
    11 years ago

It would be like taking a shower in a big stainless steel sink. I would want stainless steel. I don't think I would fuss with rivets in the actual shower but use the "rivet" look elsewhere as a decorative element. The rivets in the shower would not serve a function if in fact the shower walls were bent metal. and would be welded seams otherwise I believe. The rivets would be one place for potential leaks. I think the idea could be very functional and nice looking. But if these showers aren't readily available you will be a pioneer and this will take time to work up a strategy and find craftsmen to take it on.

• ctlady_gw
    11 years ago

All I can say is that our old house had a tiny (think what you might find on a boat or train sleeper compartment!) master bathroom with just enough room for a TINY metal shower stall (complete with rivets -- real ones). I cannot imagine why ANYONE would put one of those in! The noise alone from the water on the shower walls was annoying as all get out.

But it would be an industrial cum marine look (and feel), that's for sure. We tried to replace ours at one point (it was NOT stainless but just sheet metal (steel? probably 50+ years old when we bought the house, and was rusting at the rivet points -- ugh!) and couldn't find anything small enough, pre-fab or otherwise. (Needless to say, we were not looking for another metal one!) I could not wait to leave that "master" bath behind us! Our current master bath is small by the standards of almost every bathroom on this forum... but it seems palatial to us! :)

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I saw several DIY from copper online 8 years ago when we were building. Would be easy to keep clean. Also saw the wavy metal roofing made into outdoor shower enclosures.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

We grew up with a metal shower stall in our utility room. Our drafty utility room. With low water pressure from our well. So the water could not be run long enough to warm up the cold metal before you had to jump in. You did not want to touch those shower walls! And when you jumped out, it was drafty. My memory has that shower stall being like the cheap black and white enameled cookware on the inside, and painted white on the outside. The bathroom was on the other side of the wall from the utility room. The tub was not plumbed for a shower.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I just got shivers thinking how cold it could be and a headache imagining how noisy. :)

but here are some to check out...

Here is a link that might be useful: metal showers

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths