Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shower panels or a regular shower system ???

Posted by lillo (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 0:49

I was going for a full shower system , handheld shower with bar , body sprays and a rain shower . However my DH is scarred of the water likage in the wall especially from body sprays . If I put them , I will be responsible to fix any probable damage . On my quest for a solution , I stumbled on the shower panels . There is a Grohe one and a hansgrohe one that I like . They have everything I want except the rain shower that I want to add as separate. Did any body try any of those ? Are they good quality ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shower panels or a regular shower system ???

First and foremost, the rough in plumbing for your shower should be in an interior wall, that worst case, you can open up from the other side (drywall is cheap).

So if you have repair issues in the future, you rip open the drywall, fix your plumbing, and then do some drywall repair. Best is if it backs a closet in an adjacent room.

If we're talking about soldered copper plumbing, the chances of it developing a leak after you've done the work and tested the joints is pretty slim. So whether you have jets all over the place or not, the only difference is the number of soldered joints inside the walls.

A surface mounted shower 'wall' is of course pretty versatile, but you're stuck with it. If something goes wrong, you need another shower wall that matches the roughed in hot/cold supply from the wall. I've never looked at them so I don't know how common/universal the rough-in requirements are. So I don't know if you can simply pull one off and replace it with a new one.

Also keep in mind all those extra jets need more water supply, which might require bigger pipes.

o
RE: Shower panels or a regular shower system ???

Thank you Toronto Tim, I just went with a regular shower system . You are right about something going wrong than I will have to change the whole unit. grohe already discontinued their line for shower panels because they are outdated now. I hope my plumber will do a good job at soldering the joints.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here