Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tile pattern in my bathroom

Posted by yuki-chan (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 0:38

I am redoing my small/narrow bath (a little less than 5' x 11'). I was thinking of using the same 12'x24' tile on the floor and the far wall, and a different size and color tile on the side walls of the shower area. I wanted to do horizontal subway pattern running the width of the room on the floor and wall so it looks continuous. But because the room is so small, it only fits 2 (ish) tiles across, so I was thinking of doing a herringbone pattern on the floor but keep the horizontal subway pattern on the wall.

Would this clash too much? Since the whole purpose of using the same tile is to make the room feel larger than what it actually is. Any pictures, suggestions and comments would really help. Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Look I have in mind

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tile pattern in my bathroom

Sorry, your link doesn't work. But I think that wouldn't look good to have two different patterns of the same large tile in such a small area. But I don't see the problem of running them the first way you mentioned. Continuing them onto the wall from the floor would look good even though the tiles are big for the floor.

o

Sorry about the link ...

http://creativehomeidea.com/small-apartment-linnestaden-playful-color-inside-april-09-2011-1800/bathroom-looks-so-simple-with-white-and-gray-color-on-the-floor/

Here is a link that might be useful: Look I have in mind

o

I think that could be a neat look in a small BR. But why not just have the large tiles laid in a soldier pattern, ie lined up straight, like in your inspiration photo? We are also doing 12 X 24 tiles in a small BR, and after playing with layout, and restrictions made by using large format tiles, ie you cannot use them in a normal subway pattern due to lippage problems, have decided to lay them straight, centering one whole tile, and using ~3/4 of a tile on each side. Uses up a lot more tiles this way, but I think the look will be much cleaner and more attractive (that's the plan anyways...LOL).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here