Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateb22_gw

crema marfil tile question

KateB22
10 years ago

I am using white carerra marble in two of our bathrooms and I love it. That has gone in already. I am trying to decide if we should use crema marfil or carerra for my husband's bath. We ended up getting carerra samples but not the crema. We are somewhat delayed in terms of the job needing to get done. I can order a crema sample but it will slow us down more. So I am trying to decide if we should go with the one we know or if crema is a good choice too. my husband doesn't know either. We looked at lots of photos of crema together and we kind of like it but were worried it has too much of a pink undertone. does it? or is it purely beige? Is it a good choice for a man's bathroom? And what about carerra-- is that too feminine looking for man's bath? we know we want marble and have narrowed it down to these but we don't quite know what crema marfil looks like and would appreciate any descriptions.

Comments (3)

• DreamingoftheUP
    10 years ago

White with gray veining type marble is classic and is neither masculine nor feminine. If you want to make a statement and identify a bathroom as masculine, IMO you're being too timid with crema marfil. I'd suggest something like Michelangelo marble with a dark wood vanity, such as the picture below.

If you want to stay with white-with-gray-veining type marble but want to distinguish the other baths from your husband's, why not go with statuary marble? Carrara is more foggy while statuary (statuario) has sharply defined veining.

Or, you could do carrara or statuary for the above the floor surfaces (vanity top, shower) and a darker marble or tile for the floor:

This post was edited by DreamingoftheUP on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 6:49

• duvetcover
    10 years ago

The crema marfil we have has a peach- pink tone. We have it in our powder room with grey toned walls (BM Coastal Fog) and grey tile floor and bamboo vanity and think it looks really nice but might be a bit feminine for a man's bathroom. It is pretty though.
    M.

• msbubbaclees
    10 years ago

We used honed crema marfil for the vanity and the tile in our recently redone master bath. I don't find it pink-y at all. Here's an in-progress picture from before we had the shower glass installed.

The vanity looks very similar to the floor. I think it is a great neutral, and you could make the room look more "masculine" with lighting fixtures or other accessories.

I'd caution about using a dark marble like the first example from DreamingoftheUP's post--those tend to show etching much more easily than lighter marbles.