Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deciding on what shower should be...?

Posted by mmks (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 5, 13 at 23:24

We are rebuilding after a fire, and in our master bath we are trying to decide if we tile the shower again, or just go with a surround. I think it would be easier to clean, but the tile looked really nice. We just were not ready to go through this again this soon..I am afraid I will find the surround too sterile looking, but it will be faster.What do you think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deciding on what shower should be...?

I vote tile. I'm not a fan of cleaning grout, but since discovering the art of squeegeeing after a shower, the cleaning is no longer a big deal. It removes all the excess water and soap/shampoo & we're good to go. Cleaning entails a once a month (if that) spray down of the walls and a once weekly spray down and quick scrub of the floor. No mold, no mildew, no grout to scrub with a toothbrush. Plus tile is a pretty timeless material choice.

A surround is definitely easier & quicker to install, but does not have the same look as tile. I also find them more difficult to clean (they seem to hold on to soap residue more than tile in my experience). Plus you have to be very careful what cleansers you use as they are more easily scratched and dulled than tile.

Just my $0.02. Hope it helps!

o
RE: Deciding on what shower should be...?

Am in a similar boat. No fire, but are redoing Master bath, and I'm still torn between cultured marble walls...(much simpler, easy to clean, but far more expensive), and tile walls. Surround is different, it takes up space and leaves you with less useable space in the shower (as walls/corners are usually curved and shelves take up even more space). I haven't had tile walls in a shower for years, but now that I've had a glass and cultured marble shower in the basement for 4yrs+ have gotten used to the squeegee routine, so maybe a tiled wall wouldn't be the horrendous cleaning nightmare that I recall from previous homes....

We are DIY'ers, so tiling for us would be a much cheaper alternative to the cultured marble walls. Much more work though, so totally get where you're coming from. If you go surround, I would do the squeegee routine anyways, and even a microfibre cloth wipe-down regularly to help keep it looking like new!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here