Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyaustin

Bath/Masterbedroom design assistance, please

nancyaustin
10 years ago

We have a 1950's split level house. On the upper floor, there is a masterbedroom and a guest bedroom, connected by a Jack and Jill bathroom---an odd configuration, we realize. We want to have more closet space and update the bathroom, including replacing the tub/shower with just a shower. An interior designer suggested a layout that creates a new closet for the master, accessible from the bath, that takes space from the guestroom. It also enlarges the closets that are in the master bedroom. We like the concept but wonder if it can be improved. I don't want to start this major remodel without hearing the input from the GW folks. Please let me know your thoughts. Thank you in advance for your recommendations. This is the new floorplan. I'll post the existing floorplan in a separate message.

Comments (8)

• nancyaustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the existing floorplan.

• enduring
    10 years ago

The master closet, does it need to be divided, and to have 2 doors? I would think taking the wall out and eliminating one door could make the space more efficient. But I have never has a walk in closet so I really don't know how they function. I did see a few comments on Houzz recently that says they are best if they are sort of like a galley, and that the ends have cabinets instead of handing rods.

If you are totally doing away with the guest room than a bathroom probably isn't needed. Otherwise if it is a room that will function as both a study and a guest room I would nix the extra closet of the bath and have another bathroom.

I don't like the door swing to the bathroom in the drawing. It interferes with the vanity, if someone is standing there. I think the pocket door works better.

Does the TV need to be built in? It seems like it is taking a lot of room from the closet. Can you mount the tv instead and have movies stored in a more compact niche?

• nancyaustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh boy, enduring! You always have such great comments. Thanks for your thoughts.

We have a beloved tall piece of furniture, called a clothes press, that houses the TV and it has lots of drawer space. I want to keep and use that piece so that is why a niche is built to accommodate it.

I'll measure the amount of closet rod length to see if we have more space by eliminating the dividing wall.

I agree completely with going with pocket doors on both bathroom doors.

The former guest room will become a study rather than a guest room. We have two other bedrooms on the lower level of the split level so don't need a guest room..

• enduring
    10 years ago

There are so many posters here with fabulous ideas. I can' wait to see what others post. This really looks like an exciting project.

Here are the Houzz links about closets. Interesting ideas, etc.
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/how-to-get-the-closet-of-your-dreams-stsetivw-vs~23642359-to-Get-the-Closet-of-Your-Dreams

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/the-15-most-popular-closet-luxuries-on-houzz-stsetivw-vs~19098761-15-Most-Popular-Closet-Luxuries-on-Houzz

• nancyaustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are great links, enduring, especially the Get the Closet of Your Dreams. I've saved both.

Do you have any thoughts about the layout of the bathroom?

• nancyaustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump. I'd really appreciate additional thoughts!

• enduring
    10 years ago

What are the dimensions of the bathroom, the closet next to the bathroom, and the closet space in your bedroom? It would help in determining closet space as well as space within the bathroom. Toilets need minimum clearance but there is also ideal clearance that is a bit more roomy. I will link another site that has helpful information about tolerances in the bathroom. The way you have it laid out above looks practical enough, just don't know about the spacing of things, and if they meet required spacing, though if a designer has drawn it up I am sure it does.

Here I go again about that extra closet. I wouldn't want a window in the closet shinning sun on my clothes, as they will discolor. Unless that is a north facing window. I would think you wouldn't hang clothes around the window, so you are giving up more space for hanging.

Edited to add more information about closets can be found on the link about bathrooms. See the left hand list of articles and you will find one on closets :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Illustrated rules of good bathroom design

This post was edited by enduring on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 17:49

• nancyaustin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Enduring, the bathroom is 10 x 9, the closet next to the bathroom is 7 x 8.5, and the bedroom closets are along a 16 ft wall, divided in half, with the depth varying from 5 ft to 3.5 ft. The toilet is centered a 40 in space between the walls.

Thanks for the link to the Starcraft site, which I've read but will read again to double check the spacing allowances and to check out its closet information.

The windows in the new closet will be clerestory windows with some sort of covering to reduce sundamage---they will be on the northeast side of the house. There will also be clerestory windows above the mirrors on the sink side of the bathroom to add some natural light to this room.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living